Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noisy engine when first start

this is prob ably a dumb question but i have a 03 subaru baja with 115000 mils on it it has the 2.5 under the hood and when i first fire it up it has valve chatter for the first 5min then goes away it sounds like the older car is this normal and how can i fix it should i worry about it this is the first new subie i have owned

thnx

Had the timing belt been done yet?

Soemtimes the tensioner makes noise when they get old and you could be mistaking that for valve noise. Just a thought.

Don't know if the oil pump screws back out still onthose later model 2.5's but also worth checking when timing belt is done.

Get the idler kit. Most of us use theimportexperts.com and get a new tensioner(the tensioner basically costs the same as all the idlers).

It could be piston slap as has been pointed out but usually it takes a while longer to get quiet on the cars I've seen with piston slap.

make sure you do that timing belt. it's interference and will trash the valves if the belt breaks. also, like someone else said, replace the idlers and tensioner too. Also, subaru recommends a valve adjustment at 105k with the belts, which is shims so take it to a SUBARU specific shop or dealer only. They don't have "adjusters" built in. :-\

If you plan on keeping it, now is the time for major service. The timing belt should be replaced as well as all of the pulleys. The cam seals should be replaced while the pulleys are off. The oil pump ring should be replaced. Also a weak tensioner will cause a knock like noise at start up. Look for wear marks on the plastic cam covers, a sure sign of a sloppy belt.piston slap is worst in colder weather. Usually goes away in ten min or so. I use a dino oil half 5w30 half 10w30. Quiets mine down.

i used 10w40 on my last oil change and i also used about a half of quart of lucase oil treatment i us it in my gl so i figured y not how much would that full service at the dealer be anyone know and thnxs for all the info i plan on keeping the car

although there is an 05 turbo 5speed forsale that is tempting me but it has 85000 miles on it and is on its second motor so i think its been beat:banana: