Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96-99 4EAT in a 2000 Outback?

AdventureSubaru

Been searching rather fruitlessly for an inexpensive transmission for a 2000 Legacy Outback. As I search I'm finding plenty of 96-99 legacies and outacks being parted, but scarecly a singe 2000+. Anyone ever swap over a trans from an earlier generation? Looking for a little know-how on the possibilities.

I would assume different gear ratios and expect to have to swap the rear diff as well.

Does the bellhousing bolt up? Wiring harnesses? number of splines on the axles? Starter? Torque converter?

I'm willing to do a little extra work to save the money. Not sure if It can go that way easily or not.

99 Legacy 4eat is a Phase II type.

Should be able to use any 99+ Forrester or Outback trans.

The Phase I trans won't work.

Differnet electronics, different length.

Thanks for the tip. The interchange on these things is confusing. Been researching for the last few hours. Still not entirely sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong - Looks like I can use any Phase 2 4EAT with a 4.44 gear ratio. This would be some of the 99s and any outback or SUS between 2000 and 2004 as well as the 99-01 Foresters? Hoping i'm right because this gives me a few more options.

Edited by AdventureSubaru