Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

96-99 4EAT in a 2000 Outback?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Been searching rather fruitlessly for an inexpensive transmission for a 2000 Legacy Outback. As I search I'm finding plenty of 96-99 legacies and outacks being parted, but scarecly a singe 2000+. Anyone ever swap over a trans from an earlier generation? Looking for a little know-how on the possibilities.

I would assume different gear ratios and expect to have to swap the rear diff as well.

Does the bellhousing bolt up? Wiring harnesses? number of splines on the axles? Starter? Torque converter?

I'm willing to do a little extra work to save the money. Not sure if It can go that way easily or not.

#2 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

I don't believe it's possible to plug in the electronics. It likely will physically fit.

Speed sensors and wiring are different I believe. One of the reasons the engine swap over that timeline won't work either.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,033 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

99 Legacy 4eat is a Phase II type.

Should be able to use any 99+ Forrester or Outback trans.

The Phase I trans won't work.

Differnet electronics, different length.

#4 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

99 Legacy 4eat is a Phase II type.

Should be able to use any 99+ Forrester or Outback trans.

The Phase I trans won't work.

Differnet electronics, different length.

Thanks for the tip. The interchange on these things is confusing. Been researching for the last few hours. Still not entirely sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong - Looks like I can use any Phase 2 4EAT with a 4.44 gear ratio. This would be some of the 99s and any outback or SUS between 2000 and 2004 as well as the 99-01 Foresters? Hoping i'm right because this gives me a few more options.

Edited by AdventureSubaru, 29 December 2011 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users