Ultimate Subaru Message Board

burping air out of cooling system

my 89 g.l. has an overheating problem. i was told i need to "burp" the air out of the system and im having problems doing it.i burped it out cold then started it up to open the thermostadt but every time the car gets up to operating tempature it just geysers water out of the radiator.any tips?

Try filling the block via the upper radiator hose, re-connect it, and then the radiator. Perhaps drive the car and let it warm up first, then remove the cap and add coolant.

Sounds like there is an air pocket in the block, and filling the radiator alone wont fill the block unless the thermostat is open, which it will have a hard time doing i there is air in the block.

as stated, run the heat full hot. If the heat remains cool, there is not enough coolant.

Once the radiator is full, check for a steady stream of bubbles as this would indicate a head gasket failure.

how many times has the engine been overheated, or how hot did it get?

What are you burping for? did you just servcie the engine, or was the coolant already low?