Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Cruise Control

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about adding cruise control to an '88 GL, is it worth the hassle? It's pretty much the only thing my Subi doesn't have that I'd really like it to have.

Anyone have any tips or part numbers?

Anything I should know?

Not the answers your looking for but heres my .02 on this.

Ive looked into using EA82 cruise on my BRAT befor, but what ruined it for me was my EA81 wagon w/cruise. The manual trans + hilly local terrain, combo made it kinda useless. If you have an auto (and more H.P.) I bet its not too bad. Do some searching of the USMB, as I found info on this. The parts are available at the J.Y. and that will be your best bet.

It's not too difficult, just gotta find a parts car. There were two kinds of cruise: factory installed and dealer installed. One had the cruise buttons on the steering wheel below the horn, the other had the buttons to the left of the wheel over by the rear defrost buttons.

Just gotta steal those buttons, wiring, control module, and the throttle actuator, I believe. There are a few threads on this lying around.

It's not too difficult, just gotta find a parts car. There were two kinds of cruise: factory installed and dealer installed. One had the cruise buttons on the steering wheel below the horn, the other had the buttons to the left of the wheel over by the rear defrost buttons.

Just gotta steal those buttons, wiring, control module, and the throttle actuator, I believe. There are a few threads on this lying around.

Cool, yeah I've found a few threads on it, but nothing really definitive. Appreciate the input, I'll see whats available at my local pick&pull. Just wasn't sure what I'd be getting myself into :-p

Ok, spent the day at a pick and pull getting some accessories for the car, but wasn't able to find any cruise control modules.

Anyone have one laying around that they'd like to part with? I do have the power mirror option, not sure if that means I need the factory or dealer option, I know that one will work and one won't lol.

Alternatively I was poking around the internet and found this

http://www.amazon.com/Audiovox-CCS100-Universal-Vacuum-Control/dp/B00029WQTW

Universal cruise control system apparently. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for any and all input!

I just sold my spare cruise unit. They aren't difficult to install or use. I didn't mind mine when I had my wagon, used it all the time. Worked great. Ask in the wanted section of the classifieds, you might get lucky!

When looking in the yard, look for a GL-10 or a turbo, usually those both had cruise units in them. But beware, the factory cruise unit is a lot more involved then the dealer installed version. I have just played with the dealer installed unit...

Good luck!

Interesting... A while back I picked up a '86 gl wagon for parts. It has cruise in it. :eek:

It doesn't work... But it is there. What trim levels did the cruise come in? Is it limited to turbo or gl10? This car (had) an ea82 (put in another vehicle) not a ea82t. Doesn't have any of the gl10 trim and the title says GL.

Anywho, I could get pics of it in the morning if people are intrested. :)

Like I said, its not working, and I think I want to hang onto it. It would just be an educational thing. :lol:

Anywho, I could get pics of it in the morning if people are intrested. :)

Like I said, its not working, and I think I want to hang onto it. It would just be an educational thing. :lol:

I'd love to see some pics, and from the research I've done since I started this thread It shouldn't be too terribly hard to get it working, seems like a pretty simple system. Just gotta find all the pieces :brow:

Ask and you shall recieve. :lol:

My camara just kinda sucks on closeups. :-\

Car is a '86 gl wagon, 5 speed dual range 4wd.

The controller inside the car.

Nevermind the red switch, that was for some lights the p.o installed.

387714_349574278393133_100000216909175_1646183_1120250753_n.jpg

And here is the (brain?) in the engine compartment.

405725_349574365059791_100000216909175_1646184_1710524721_n.jpg

I have a complete cruise kit from my '87 GL and I will see if there's a part number on it. It had a large black ball bolted to the passenger side strut tower, buttons on the steering wheel, brain behind the driver side kick panel, and the electrical harness was a plug and play, like a dealer install option. I will try and get some pics when the weather lets up.

I have an 88 gl spfi 5sp and my cruise isnt working.

I have buttons on the steering wheel that say " set coast " and the other one says "resume" i think . But i also have the button that says cruise under the rear defrost button .

So do i have a dealer installed or factory installed lol ? I'd like to get it fixed cause when im on the freeway im usually taking a long trip and my foot starts killing me !

Should be the dealer installed cruise. If its not working, make sure the vacuum chamber under the hood (will be a big black ball bolted to the passengt side strut tower) and if it does, you might want to check the clock spring under the steering wheel.

And since I gotten 3 PMs so far, no I am not going to sell my cruise control setup! Its getting installed in my RX currently.

Should be the dealer installed cruise. If its not working, make sure the vacuum chamber under the hood (will be a big black ball bolted to the passengt side strut tower) and if it does, you might want to check the clock spring under the steering wheel.

And since I gotten 3 PMs so far, no I am not going to sell my cruise control setup! Its getting installed in my RX currently.

And if it does what ? Lol