Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Euro legacy tie rods on US outback?

long time, no post. anyway, I picked up a 97 outback last winter as a beater. I just got her inspected and she passed, but now i have a new list of stuff I should probably do. first and foremost are the inner tie rod ends. I've done outers before on other cars, but inners are a PITA and I'm likely to tear the outer boots anyway when I'm getting to the inner ends. The question is: Can I buy the "complete" tie rod assembly from rock auto (listed as being for the euro market) and just bolt them up?

yes as long as it is LHD, left hand drive.

but it might be cheaper to buy a used rack and install new inner tie rods, maybe boots too, before you in stall it. used racks can be had for $65. they are cheap because they hardly ever fail, there is very little demand. (you probably do not have to replace the tie rods unless they feel loose.)

www.car-part.com

sort your search by distance first to see if one is in your area. then by price, a distant one may be so cheap that shipping does not matter.

Edited by johnceggleston

It's definitely not easier to replace the whole rack than to replace an inner tie rod end. The first time I replaced one was on my 96. It was outside while snowing in 10deg weather. I used two big pipe wrenches for tools and it only took me about 45 minutes...

I'd replace the boot while I'm at it, the only reason my inner failed was because the boot was ripped.

if you have bad tie rods, replace them

not the rack

replacing rack would be same as replacing entire trans when you have a torn axle boot...

hello. replace the defective parts not the entire assembly.

or, maybe you are one who would pull the engine if you have a exhaust leak?