Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 5 Lug swap; my list...

tractor pole

Here is my setup

Front:

Legacy struts (w/loyale top hats)

94 Impreza Knuckles, Hubs, rotors and caliper brackets.

loyale calipers, Parking brake works!(caliper pins and bolts from loyale in place of imp parts)

93 fwd impreza 5mt axles

xt6 control arms and ball joints.

Rear:

XT6 Backing plates two right side(custom left side installation)

XT6 hub and rotor

XT6 caliper bracket and caliper.

This is the route I took to get what I wanted. there are many ways to get there, this is the one I took.

Ben

94 Impreza ... rotors and caliper brackets.

loyale calipers, Parking brake works!(caliper pins and bolts from loyale in place of imp parts)

This is really interesting. Are they AWD rotors/brackets?

Great way to get the improved suspension geometry of the EJ knuckles, without messing with a new ebrake.

What tie rod ends are you using?

Currently I am running outback 15x6 alloys with 195/60-15 Hankook i-Pike studded snow tires at stock height with no issues. I think I might go with a 5mm spacer on the rears to push them out a little to match the front.

except the studs are going to take some getting used to:grin:

Pictures to come...

I am using the stock Loyale tie rod ends.

Get those swapped out. Ea82 rod ends use a smaller shaft at the knuckle than other Subarus. They sort of work, but they will bottom out, and put too much stress on the joint. Mine lasted maybe 6 months...

EJ ones are too long for the narrower EA track. But EA81 ones are perfect.

Get those swapped out. Ea82 rod ends use a smaller shaft at the knuckle than other Subarus. They sort of work, but they will bottom out, and put too much stress on the joint. Mine lasted maybe 6 months...

EJ ones are too long for the narrower EA track. But EA81 ones are perfect.

Good call, I noticed they bottomed out, but they didn't move or make any noise.

Any ea81 or a specific year/model?

I used XT6 outer tie rod ends and have just enough movement before they bottom out to get the alignment I wanted.

Yea, now that you mention it, I've run EJ knuckles on my XT6s without swapping to EA81 rod ends.

Any EA81 should do. I bought a pair of moogs off RockAuto for an '84 Brat on my 5-lugged Loyale.....they fit perfect!

• 1 month later...
Ok what is the simplest way to lower and do a 5 lug swap to my 91 Subaru Loyale??

Could i just use a 90 model xt6 suspension and axles and hubs?

simple answer... yes sort of. the XT6 has a 25 spline doj on the front axles so if you do not already have a turbo transmission in your Loyale you will need to source the correct 23 spline front axles.

as far as the XT6 front strut top hats, I do not know if they are the same as EA82 top hats.

I am also assuming that your Loyale and the XT6 are 4wd.

the rear swap took seriously an hour to do, direct bolt on using the same axles, just modify the brake line to fit in its new home.

simplest way to lower is probably coilover sleeves.(at least that is the route I am taking)

Use the search function, there are alot of threads on these subjects I spent a lot of time researching before I bought all the parts to do my swap.

Ben

so if the front axles off the xt6 wont fit could i just unbolt the hub off of it and bolt it to my loyale??

It's not that they won't fit... You can change the inner joint cup that attaches to the transmission, to the right one that fits your transmission.

I think that's what you were asking.

Ohhhhh now i get it! That sounds a little bit easier. i could swap the inner joint out of any 80's and 90's models subi's couldn't i? like the legacy or the outbacks?

you need an axle that has an five lug outer spline shaft and an inner spline that will match the transmission that you have in your car,

Impreza or Legacy AWD/EA82 turbo/XT6 25 spline.

93-94 Impreza FWD M/T or EA82 naturally aspirated 23 spline

You can use a the FWD Impreza M/T axles like I did on my car if you don't want to mess with making axles out of two sets. however if you use the XT6 front spindles and hubs you should change the inner axle seal. there is a thread that will give the part number for it (I believe its for a Toyota Previa but I don't know what year or application)

Ben

• 1 year later...

you need an axle that has an five lug outer spline shaft and an inner spline that will match the transmission that you have in your car,

Impreza or Legacy AWD/EA82 turbo/XT6 25 spline.

93-94 Impreza FWD M/T or EA82 naturally aspirated 23 spline

You can use a the FWD Impreza M/T axles like I did on my car if you don't want to mess with making axles out of two sets. however if you use the XT6 front spindles and hubs you should change the inner axle seal. there is a thread that will give the part number for it (I believe its for a Toyota Previa but I don't know what year or application)

Ben

Does anyone know what inner seal to use if you use 93 FWD Impreza axles in XT6 hubs? I'm thinking of going this route, but want to make sure I change that inner seal out.

Also, when I did an ebay search, 93 and 94 FWD 5mt Impreza axles are listed the same. Are they in fact the same?

if you use fwd impreza axles you just need to swap the inner seal to one from an ej era car

the axles should be the same for those 2 years, I'm not 100% sure what years the were 23 spline. I've always read as long as it's impreza specific fwd axles they were 23 splines