Ultimate Subaru Message Board

does anybody know how to fix a 2wd 81 dl tranny that shifts sloppy and grinds going into 2nd and sometimes third, the clutch is going soon but my dad who is a mechanic says its all aligned and that shouldnt be the reason, i put some free play in the pedal and that helped a little bit. im only 16 an its my first car. any help is appreciated:D

if your clutch is releasing all the way, it's probably your synchros. some time ago there was a discussion involving ATF.

here goes. drain oil from tanny. fill with automatic transmission fluid. drive it for appx. 1 block. drain again. fill with half synthetic and half plain old gearbox oil. this should help your synchronizers a it. helped mine.

the onlyother option that i can think of at the moment would be to go to the JY and get another tranny. but thats kinda hit and miss.

good luck and enjoy your subaru. Give 'er hell!!

My rx grinds second at high rmp and is very slopy. Kind of really annoying. It is most likely the syncros going bad. Ive heard that the ATF flush works but if u want you can also try Redline MTF. Its realllllllyy expensive crap but suposedly it will help them last a little longer. Im gonna try it as soon as the weather gets better ill post some results.

mike