Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy GT wagon - the good, bad, and ugly - inquiry

I will be picking up 2005 Legacy GT wagon 2.5 with 5 speed shifty auto. I currently have a 99 Impreza OB Sport with over 250k miles and like most people on here I love my Subaru.

I'm looking for some feedback on the 2005, currently it has about 85k and looks in good condition. All the fluids seemed good from oil to tranny gear oil. I test drove it and it ran good, turbo kicked good, etc...

Just looking for feedback on this model, problems it might have, issues known for this model, and what Good things this model has too...

ThanX in advance for any info,

Soon to be dual Subaru owner

verify but at least some, if not all, the turbo's should be run with synthetic oil. there's a particular bolt or screen or passage that clogs...someone here will know which turbo models that topic pertains to and more specifically what that means, i don't typically get into turbos.

a timing belt will be due at 105,000 miles, so it's one year out from a $400 - $800 maintenance depending who and how it's done.

transmission fluid should also be replaced at some point if it's not 100% verifiable that's it's been done. or ask them to do it as part of the sale, like if it's a dealer.

those are the major points to take note of that can cause major issues if not addressed.

Oil feed return line banjo bolt screen - they came out with an upgraded bolt that replaced the one with the screen in it (same bolt but no screen :rolleyes:) around the time frame of that car.

If it hasn't had regular oil changes and synthetic all it's life - walk away. Turbo's NEED synthetic for a long, happy life. If it's just been run with cheap stuff and/or neglected oil changes - it's not likely to make 150k without at least a new turbo and possibly more severe problems.

That's also the same time-frme of the cracking oil pickup tubes. Mostly that's on STi's but it's something to be aware of because I beleive it also affects the 255's from time to time. Did an '06 STi not long ago and the owner opted to replace the pickup with a Killer-B motorsports reinforced version on general principle at 90k (did the 105k service a little early) - good thing he opted to replace the pickup tube since it was already cracked about 1/3 of the way around at the flange where it bolts to the block. Crappy design. Most people find out about a cracked pickup tube by completely losing oil pressure and destroying the block.

GD

Great info, thanX again...

So keep up the regular maintenance and keep it synthetic... after a blown timing belt I can relate to the if you don't know, don't assume and just replace.

Is there a way to check this bolt without removing?

Also pull the pan and change the oil pick tube. My brother in law will be having the car for 6-8 months so when I get it which should be around 100k do the timing belt, water pump, oil pick up tube... etc

Carfax has a good record of the regular service performed regularly at Subaru dealer.

I'm excited so now my 99 Impreza can be devoted more to the toy status :headbang:

I would simply replace it. For the work to get at it (jack engine out of cradle and then fight the factory RTV to get the pan off...) you are money ahead by just replacing it while you are in there. The job isn't bad but getting the pan off the first time around is not fun. You will likely bend the lip on the pan and have to straighten it before installation.

GD