Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi. Just put my 1998 Subaru Legacy L Sedan (101k miles) in for a quick oil change at a local mechanic. I knew it was coming so i asked them to give me a price on timing belt and water pump. I got a quote for…

New T-Belt ($300)

New WaterPump ($166)

Replace Serpentine Belt ($95)

Replace Upper/Lower Radiator Hose ($120), Coolant Changeover ($45)

Everything would run about $768 incl. tax.

The job is WAY beyond my mechanical skills, but i would replace the thermostat and gasket too right?

He also told me I should be VERY NERVOUS because the TB is way overdue and that the engine (a 2.2L) is interference. I was under the impression it was non-interference. I am going to get it replaced, i just don't know if THIS GUY is going to do it.

Any thoughts?

I think the 2.2s after '97 are interference.

It looks to me like he is charging every aspect of the job as if he is only doing that part. The accessory belts for example have to be removed anyway to do the tbelt, so there shouldn't be any additional labor for changing them. The labor for the radiator hoses should be about ten minutes. The parts and labor for the t-belt part of it sounds about right IF he is also doing the cam seals, main seal, and resealing the oil pump.

You definately want a new tstat and tstat gasket.

It won't hurt to get some other quotes.