Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Planning some rally x this year

zukiru

Okay more just thinking about it at this point.

I have an xt dl that is an ugly car but a runner

And a nice looking XT gl that is 4wd...

I'm leaning toward racing the fwd but I may change my mind.

Either way I'm looking for 13 inch tires that will be good and not move my class.

I don't mind changing the rims at the event. (assuming its allowed)

The dl needs a few things worked on to get back stock. (gutted y pipe for one)

The gl has a fwd suspension. Which might move its class despite the fwd suspension actually being a performance down grade. (so I have heard any way.)

What else should I think about in regards to doing some rally racing this season?

Thanks!

Okay more just thinking about it at this point.

I have an xt dl that is an ugly car but a runner

And a nice looking XT gl that is 4wd...

I'm leaning toward racing the fwd but I may change my mind.

Either way I'm looking for 13 inch tires that will be good and not move my class.

I don't mind changing the rims at the event. (assuming its allowed)

The dl needs a few things worked on to get back stock. (gutted y pipe for one)

The gl has a fwd suspension. Which might move its class despite the fwd suspension actually being a performance down grade. (so I have heard any way.)

What else should I think about in regards to doing some rally racing this season?

Thanks!

Get a skidplate and helmet, then start improving the driver. Nokian Hakkapeliittas were the most winning tire in rallyx a while back. Depending on your steward's interpretation of the rules, the Silverstone S505s are DOT approved, and they're proper rally tires. They would be a huge advantage, but don't buy them until you know your local steward will be ok with that.

This is all assuming you want to be in a stock class, which you didn't explicitly specify. If so, then once you get good enough, a racing harness is one of the things that helped me the most.

Jacob

I read the rules and it says any tire so long as it doesn't say "competition only" or something to that effect.

Thanks for the tips trying to be in stock class.

Also... The coil swap puts the 4wd out for stock class.

Edited by zukiru

I read the rules and it says any tire so long as it doesn't say "competition only" or something to that effect.

I don't understand how a coil swap can take you out of Stock class. Also, tires certainly will; especially Silverstone S505 tires; not likely to find actual rally tires in a 13" size; only ones I know about are 14" and 15". Are the rules you have "local" rules or from SCCA which serves as the foundation of most rallycross rules nationally? Here's a copy of the 2011 rules/regs; so far the 2012 version hasn't been published yet. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/Rally%20Rules/2011_RXR.pdf

I was going off of my memory of the rules from a few years ago, which required stock-sized DOT-approved tires. The Silverstones fit in that category. I don't remember if they say anything about competition on them.

What kind of "coil" are you talking about? People are likely to be lenient on a car that old anyway. For example, there was a guy in Washington running aftermarket engine management in the stock class. He got away with it because he was driving something pretty rare that he restored, and finding a stock ECU wasn't very feasible.

I don't understand how a coil swap can take you out of Stock class. Also, tires certainly will; especially Silverstone S505 tires; not likely to find actual rally tires in a 13" size; only ones I know about are 14" and 15". Are the rules you have "local" rules or from SCCA which serves as the foundation of most rallycross rules nationally? Here's a copy of the 2011 rules/regs; so far the 2012 version hasn't been published yet. http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/Rally%20Rules/2011_RXR.pdf

I've got a set of 5 13" S505s sitting in my living room:)

Jacob

wanna sell 'em? :grin:

it's just a FWD XT suspension under there. but 4wd XTs ALL came with air struts.

I kind of want to use the ugly car anyway.

IMAG0156.jpg

4WD would be preferred for RallyX but I hear Fwd is fun too.

if I can get by with the FWD suspesnion and still be in stock class that would be great.

I eventually want to make many upgrades to the black car five lug EJ etc.

and keep the GL as stock as possible etc.

the DL is rust free and the GL has a few underneath spots that I am afraid to make worse rallying it. (and it's too pretty to beat on)

keep in mind though. I don't need either car to get to work, etc.

we have a Venture van and an 07 Eclipse to do that stuff.

• 3 weeks later...