Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Miles Fox's SecretMobile

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah here's the thread.

I think liftin it would be cool. i like the thought of a lifted xt. however the thought of pulling all that nice and moisty suspension out of it, plus its history, sounds kinda iffy. of course, the sale of that suspension, although potentially deemed blasphemous, could yeild new replacement suspension and lifting of it as well as a couple repairs.

hmmm?

whats the story on the TPS? is it different than a regular ea82 TPS?

if i didn't care about this car, i would swap all that moist yummy suspension int my 3-door. but then i would have to put this one back together with spare parts. I like the idea that it is an already built car; a project car that i did not have to put together(but, really, got paid to put it together before hand.)

Not to mention Tom (theloyale) did most of the heavy work with the suspension swap (tom, as much as you hated it you deserve the credit)

The problem with the TPS is it is a 4 pin unit on the spider intake, but the 87 has 3 pins on the harness. The current tps is somehow mounted backwards with a hole on the top side against the throttle body. It is literally mounted backwards.

My intent of this car as a project is to get the ea82t going right and proper, as this particular car is about the pinnacle of what an ea82 car can be built up to while staying in the ea82 generation of engineering.

I have another ea82 block that would be cool to build with forged pistons, as this car's engien has ported heads and delta cams. but the bottom end is out of an 87 carby wagon that was flooded in a river. The engine that came out of it(receitps from the dealer) has some serious crank walk play.

So this is one more excuse to beat an ea82t into the ground, futile or not, but this car would be an EXCELLENT candidate foran ej20g swap.

If i had my way, i would use an ej22t closed-deck block with a 2.o wrx top end. IT came with a shortened driveshaft and modified trans mount to use an ej trans.

so now that i know my welder was not stolen out of my garage, i plan to tackle the framerail rust like i did on the 3door and go form there to restore the body and mount the kaminari kits nice and proper.

This car came with things that are literally one of a kind or no longer available.

My biggest thrill about this car was that it was first registered to Subaru Of America as a promo vehicle.

I f you like 3-doors, check out my 86 3door build thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119353

This xt will get the same treatment, except for the retrofit, as this car is already assembled. The project cut out for me is the ea82 wiring, and bodywork

I will be taking my time with this one. First priority is to organize all the goodies that came with it, and them make room in the garage. I have bums and crackheads ripping me off inside my garage, so my stuff is most secure if organized in a way that i can keep track of it, and then start on the work when i can complete a task in one shot, then put everything away until the next session.

I have a gate with a broken lock, and other people on the property that wont put the board back in the. crackhed comes into the yard, enters the garage man door, and exits with the goods from the ally at the overhead door. I found the overhead door latch released.

I have a board to put in the gate, but the next guy who leaves has no way to out it back from the outside, unless he walks halfway around the block and thru a yard either one door or 3 doors down to come back in from the street.

I need to get the landlords to fix the gate. I was new when we moved in, but it has settled, and the deadbolt is bent. the deadbolt needs to be replaced, and the striker hole needs to be relocated down half an inch. When it did work, you had to lift, push in to turn the key, if you didnt break the key in such an attempt.

The moral of the story is dont have anything that can be turned in for scrap metal, as that is what is target of theft. Who is going to steel 2 sets of wheels with 140x4 bolt if they dont have a car to put them on? crackheads looking to score 15 bucks to buy steel reserve, that is who.

at the same time i park my car in the alley with the doors unlocked and the windows down sometimes, and that is ok, since i have a factory radio.

If i left the car parked there too long, i take off the license plate so my reg. sticker doesn't get snipped.

It doesn't help that i have a crack house across the alley (lic. plate stickers) and it is under construction (attracts scrap collectors)

I can see all down the alley and across 3 yards from my kitchen window when i am shooting at squirrels with a pellet gun.

My best defense is to be ever present in the garage/alley, but i have not been outside much in the last few months.

I hope to catch someone in the act and hold them till the pigz come and take them away. But all i got is a 22 cal handgun i found in a garage and the wrong bullets (rim fire) for it, so i don't think i could shoot at someone legally, even if justified. I'll have to set up a security camera, as i would recognize any trucks in the alley from the scrapyards and around town.

scrap theft is a big problem in milwaukee.

If you're serious into the cameras, for a good 3 - 400 bucks you can set up a digital watchdog system. I used to set them up previously. One or two cameras, a DVR in your garage, and an internet connection and you can view your cameras from any internet capable device (PC, smart phone, etc). You can even set it up for motion detection in your garage and it will alert you via text message if something is moving. Check out ebay.

If you're serious into the cameras, for a good 3 - 400 bucks you can set up a digital watchdog system. I used to set them up previously. One or two cameras, a DVR in your garage, and an internet connection and you can view your cameras from any internet capable device (PC, smart phone, etc). You can even set it up for motion detection in your garage and it will alert you via text message if something is moving. Check out ebay.

Harbor freight had a similar system listed. the same 400 bucks would be either a camera, or a pistol. I would go for the camera first. I fi could watch from my computer i can heads someone off in the act.

It's a tough game: Deal with it, or do something about it. The challenge is a compromise in between that. Only so much to do about it. Only so much to deal with.

Still got that .22 you found? That'll solve the currant issue, but a new issue will then arise (Where to by enough damn Lye vs. body ratio)

Harbor freight had a similar system listed. the same 400 bucks would be either a camera, or a pistol. I would go for the camera first. I fi could watch from my computer i can heads someone off in the act.

It's a tough game: Deal with it, or do something about it. The challenge is a compromise in between that. Only so much to do about it. Only so much to deal with.

Seems like its migrating west of the city by the lake. Waukesha is starting to have this problem as well, my neighbor is one of those who condones such acts (Almost stole my LC fender) :rolleyes:

It's everywhere, man. My other (deceased) project was an '80 Corolla Sport Coupe in rust-free condition. A friend and I had towed an '81 Corolla Wagon that was given to me for free so I could swap it's 5sp into the AT coupe and have a good extra 3TC motor to build for power. Had the engine with trans still mounted to it chained and locked to the 5000lbs cherry picker we used, and scrap thieves lifted the whole shebang a day later. Boy was I pissed. At least I wasn't out any money on the deal.

I have already had stolen out of the alley by scrap theives:

2 motorcycles in one occasion

an entire 5 lug suspension, turbo crossmember, and coupe tailgate(from the yard behind the gate.

92 legacy trans mound in between replacing it.

random bicycles from the yard, one of which was my neighbor's motorized project.

over the years:

an xt6 trans

2 sets of xt6 wheels

a 92 legacy that the guy showed up for when i was not there and took it, and left me with no money(craigslist) with personal items i had left in the car

From the shop:

things i have unloaded from a trailer to sell the trailer, before i could have brought them in

a whole bmw (desmond's)

jackstands and a whole car with the trailer after the trailer was paid for(car was still on the trailer)

from my car:

moped license plate

laptop computer

computer bag with a scientific calculator

rolling tobacco and a container of quarters

other times or instances:

paint sprayer, generator, and floor scrubber, new truck battery out of another garage.

i need real bullets first. I have the pellet gun to scare them off, but with that, i best be ready to play with fire.

I fanally got the car put in my garage last night. The function ing doors are locked down at the moment, diseg=ngaged from the automatic door opener, and the side latches re-installed. As long as no one enters the garage from the yard side!

If i had a fence at the front of the yard, i would have a big rump roast German Shepard in my yard. Mest (people) are afraid of dogs naturally. Especially anything resembing a police dog.

If i had my way, there would be a gated run on the side of the yard to keep the dog in to keep him contained, that i can let him out of while i am gone or at night. A dog like this would be too big to keep in my house with a child and 3 cats.