Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Phase II EJ22 into 1987 GL Wagon (carb)

kanurys

Why is your Pitch Stopper angled like that?

Centerline of the trans and engine is not lined up with the centerline of the body?

The engine/trans are lined up correctly. I'm not really sure why there is an offset. Maybe the EJ bracket isn't designed to be centered or is off center when it bolts to the EA trans. Or maybe the EA pitch stopper bracket on the firewall is not centered. Everything else measure out to be fine.

IMG_20120815_170659.jpg

In this picture, you can see the front of the engine seems centered. But the throttle body is off to the drivers side a little. Perhaps you've got a bad trans mount and you're tranny isn't sitting straight?

I've done alot of swaps, and never had to make a pitch stopper offset like that.

(except for EA81 body cars, which have the mount offset in the unibody)

Not that it's a huge issue....the car will still run great I'm sure.....just curious

Good call. The angle of observation is a little off. In that pic it may be the trans mounts, but it has new ones when I made the pitch stopper. Hmmm.

they have small alignment pins in them.

Perhaps they didn't drop all the way into the crossmember holes?

Everything is smoothed out. I have a question for you folks who've done a swap: Why does my engine cut out at 4500 rpm just like it has a governor? It runs flawlessly right up to that rpm under load. It will rev above 5000 rpm in neutral.

I'm thinking it's fuel delivery. Needs more. What do you guys think?

Is the EA82 FI NA fuel pump different from the EA82 Turbo pump? I can probably grab one from the yard.

From what I have read here, the MPFI pumps are the same between the N/A and turbos, and the SPFI pump is a little smaller. I had an SPFI pump on my first Suby, that had a EJ22e - no fuel cutouts. I did have fuel starvation on corners when the tank was below a 1/4. The car was originally carbed.

This cutout, is it like a carb starving for fuel (bucking and kicking - small hesitation just before it's fits), or does it just stop climbing in RPMs? If you back out of the throttle, will it climb further into the RPMs? Does it do it in all gears? Is the ECU complaining about anything?

Sometimes the ecu can freak out when the neutral switch says it's in gear, but the VSS says the car is stationary, and yet, the engine in under load as if it is actually moving. The ECU can tell when the engine is free revving vs accelerating the car.

Check to see if the ECU has any trouble codes. Then, we can troubleshoot from there.

:popcorn:

I have an SPFI pump on there, now. I switched to the FI pump wiring harness on the car, so a switch to the MPFI pump should be easy. Then I can keep the SPFI pump in the car for field repairs.

The only codes on the ECU are for the (non-existant) fuel tank temp and pressure sensors and the pressure release valve.

I have a question for you folks who've done a swap: Why does my engine cut out at 4500 rpm just like it has a governor? It runs flawlessly right up to that rpm under load. It will rev above 5000 rpm in neutral.

You're in limp mode.

VSS not hooked up is the most common culprit with these swaps.

That is one thing that I do not like about the ODB II management.

The OBD I ECUs will run to 7k+ no matter what's wrong.

Actually, yes. I just scanned it and it's pulling up the vss code as well as a throttle position sensor circuit malfunction code.

The TPS is being read, though. I can read an accurate value as I press the accelerator. This one I can figure out.

The computer reads a VSS value of 0.0 constantly. I know the cluster is generating a signal because the cruise control works. It's an interface issue. How have you guys hooked up an EA82 cluster to a phase II ECU? What kind of signal is the computer expecting? I mean what is it (and no guesses)?

What about grounding the neutral position wire from the ECU? Should I leave this un-grounded? It wouldn't effect the speed signal, though. Even without the speed signal the car still drives in closed loop and get decent mileage.

Edited by kanurys

And then there's this: http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0502/Diagnostics/subaru/Default.aspx

"

OBD Code P0502refers to

The vehicle speed sensor outputs a 4 pulse signal for every revolution of the rotor shaft, which is rotated by the transmission output shaft via the driven gear. After this signal is converted into a more precise rectangular waveform by the waveform shaping circuit inside the combination meter, it is then transmitted to the ECM. The ECM determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals.

Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0502

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Speedometer may not work properly - Transmission shifting problem

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0502

- Vehicle speed sensor harness or connectors is open or shorted - Vehicle speed sensor - Combination meter - Faulty ECM. The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The signal sent by the vehicle speed sensor to ECM is too low."

So here's my question for you guys who know: how many pulses does the reed switch send out for every revolution of the spedometer cable?

According to the FSM I have (88 XT), the VSS signal should "fluctuate above and below 2V while moving the car slowly."

So far, I haven't found any info on the input voltage requirement on the Phase IIs, but the Phase I ODB-IIs are looking for a 5V pulse.

On the PandaWagon, the speed shown in the ECU is pretty close (within about 3 mph) of what the speedometer is showing. Even though mine is ODB-I, there have been plenty of engine swaps into the 1st Gen Legacy/Impreza chassis with Phase II ODB-II engines. So, Hmmmm...

Do you have an oscilloscope you could monitor the VSS input to the ECU?

:popcorn: