Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correct amount/type of oil for Outback 3.0 L H6 2003?

Dave - same car, though we do less daily driving. Given that most of our trips are short ones, and Subaru recommends more frequent oil changes every 3,750 miles instead of every 7,500 if you do many short drives, your 5K guideline is about what we follow.

Do you use any particular type of oil filter, or just any generic that fits?

Factory only- the Subaru black filter that says "H6" on the box.

I hear they are out of production, but as long as the dealer has 'em I'm using 'em.

They are not that much- 9 bucks?

Dave

Good choice of oil and filter. If you want, I did this, send a sample to backbone labs and have your oil analyzed at your next change. It will give you good insight into how your engine is wearing and how well your oil is holding up. It's cheap piece of mind. 25.00 and your results are back in a week.

If I was FORCED to dream up an excuse to choose one of those filters over the other, the thinking would go like this; suppose the previous owner ran 'dino oil' (conventional) and you say you will run synthetic;

synthetic is very good at keeping 'varnish' in solution. That's why it always look darker/dirtier. So, your first fill with synthetic 'may' be cleaning out xtra varnish left by the previous oil. Could that increase the likelihood of the filter's media being clogged more than normal? If so, then the filter with the lower bypass valve opening pressure 'might' be preferred and I suppose that would be the OEM filter.

but I doubt there's a practical difference - and you could probably return the PureOne for store credit if you never plan to use it.