Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE 2/12/2012 NOS fiberglass front fender available.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look great!!! Heck I should sell my new steel pair and get a pair of these?

I told George that I was going to hold until I get sorted out and moved. I just have too much crap! But I guess I better get my pair while I can!

Are you happy with the quality?

Todd

They look great!!! Heck I should sell my new steel pair and get a pair of these?

I told George that I was going to hold until I get sorted out and moved. I just have too much crap! But I guess I better get my pair while I can!

Are you happy with the quality?

Todd

They look good so far, but I'll withhold full judgment until I see how well they line up. No complaints so far, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and ordered a pair. I had to use the windshield gasket money for them but you gotta do what you gotta do. I will post some pics when they arrive and try to remove my rusty metal fenders to test fit.

You spent the WHAT???? money on crispy fenders ????

:(

Had to, I am a bad person.:Flame:

I cannot mount any turn signals until I have new fenders as mine are shot. I am sure I will be needing a windshield gasket soon too. It never stops.

Oh and to verify, George (guy with these fenders) is a top notch guy. He called me today and let me know he received my $ and will be shipping tomorrow. Very nice to deal with and has a ton of info on finishing fiberglass.

So maybe next Monday I will have a package for me?!:popcorn:

That last box he shipped those fenders in was a bike box. If its over 28 inches tall they tack on $50 through ups. So when I shipped a bike it was 29 pounds and $79 to ship it. I cut the box down to 28 inches tall and it was $35. That might save you guys on shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I thought I would show you guys another set of these fenders. I got the call a couple hours ago and decided I should go get these.

First, the box. I have to say George did a great job of packing these.

IMG_1188.jpg

Here is the right fender.

IMG_1190.jpg

Here is the left fender.

IMG_1189.jpg

Both together.

IMG_1199.jpg

Rough hanging on the Brat.

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

Now without flash.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

So, what do I think? Well, I am on the fence to be honest. Are they worth the money for the rarity of the part, yes. Should they be in better condition?...

The driver side has a lot of cracks and most noticeable is the signal area.

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

Passenger side door opening is cracked as well.

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

Most noticeable is the bubbling all over each one?!

IMG_1192.jpg

What is this and is it common in fiberglass? I assume I can sand this down but I am not sure as of yet.

Am I happy, yes. I am kind of sad that they are in such bad shape but they are very old. Aside from the bubbles and cracks they are kind of gouged and scratched. But I am a perfectionist and everything annoys me. I will get over it though and make them work. I truly hope that my new signal assemblies fit correctly and that these are not warped. So far no warping.

I am very thankful for being led to them and the fact George has them. He is a wonderful guy and I cannot praise his conduct enough.

Jon

Edited by O.C.D.

Would personally expect them to at least not be cracked but if I really needed a set I wouldn't complain too much...not like you can go to autozone and order a set. Us beggars can't really be too picky right? And fiberglass for me at least is much easier to repair than thin sheet metal.

OK guys....remember that these fenders are REALLY old. I recently bought steel fenders, (NEW/NOS) that had small bits of damage and will require some time. We have to almost expect that some repairs will be needed. With that said, we are lucky to even find body parts! Please don't allow small issues to taint your decision to buy these. The seller is a great guy to work with and is not trying to pull off anything on us. The price is right too!!

George sent me this:

Since these fenders were manufactured over 14 years ago and have not been sealed, primered or painted, the gelcoat will react to normal atmosphere ultraviolet light and may cause the thin layer of gelcoat to distort, (bubble). The information I want to convey is that they may need small touch-ups.

Fiberglas Evercoat Gelcoat is a product that would be helpful in the refinishing of these fenders. I also suggest that you use a U.S. Chemical Product called Duraglas to repair any cracks from the outside of the fender, or Fiberglas Evercoat Resin with Hardener to repair any cracks from the inner side of the fender. These products are available from any automotive paint/body supplier in your area.

> Please contactl me, (see post # 1), if you have any further questions....I really want you to be satisfied with the fenders.

Hope I wasn't coming across as ungrateful Todd. I am most certainly happy with them just wanted to point out what mine looked like. As they are old I understand their condition. Don't want to deter anyone from getting these as it is pretty much our only option for the gen 1 guys.

:headbang:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...