Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

safe redline?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:51 AM

what is a safe redline for an ea71?

#2 Zefy

Zefy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Coquitlam B.C. Canada

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

exactly what it says on the cluster... unless you don't have a tach cluster... But if you don't have a tach then it doesn't matter anyways...

Posted Image

(***photo jacked...***)

valve float is at around 7000rpm if i recall... don't do that though... my ea71 is wrecked now...:o

***EDIT: Just went and dug up a picture of my own and surprisingly it is different... Mine is from Oregon while the one above is from cali i believe. Different emissions stuff so the cluster is different...? Not sure but mine goes to 120mph vs 80mph (and it shows kph which would have been handy...) and mine has a 500rpm higher redline... weird. somebody else should elaborate...

Posted Image

Edited by Zefy, 06 January 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#3 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Maybe that was old school way for CA to reduce emissions, by installing a lower redline guage, so people are not wasting as much gas revving it out less.
:burnout:

Sort of could see that as being the reason...

#4 Red92

Red92

Subaru Fanatic!

• Bronze Subscribers
  • 426 posts
  • Wisconsin

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Here's the formula to calculate a safe redline:

Redline = 5000 + [your mechanical ability from 1 to 10] * [number of spare engines you have] * [number of other drivable cars you have] / [minutes until the store closes] * [how much you like the exhaust noise] / [how far below E the gas gauge is] + [1000 if engine was recently rebuilt] + [1000 if engine needs a rebuild anyway] - [500 if you live in California] + [1250 if friends are in car] - [1500 if AAA membership is expired] + [1500 if you have an aftermarket intake and stickers] + [(random guess) if you don't have a tach] - [2000 * (number of miles from home) if noise becomes worse]

#5 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Here's the formula to calculate a safe redline:

Redline = 5000 + [your mechanical ability from 1 to 10] * [number of spare engines you have] * [number of other drivable cars you have] / [minutes until the store closes] * [how much you like the exhaust noise] / [how far below E the gas gauge is] + [1000 if engine was recently rebuilt] + [1000 if engine needs a rebuild anyway] - [500 if you live in California] + [1250 if friends are in car] - [1500 if AAA membership is expired] + [1500 if you have an aftermarket intake and stickers] + [(random guess) if you don't have a tach] - [2000 * (number of miles from home) if noise becomes worse]

hahaha that formula is epic! :banana:

#6 bonvo

bonvo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • LaPine, Or

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

i dont have a tach cluster i wish i did ive never reved it past 5k but it feels like it has more to give i just dont want to blow it up it is my dd and yes i do have a tach
Posted Image

#7 howpow

howpow

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi Folks. My 1976 GF hardtop with EA71 has the redline starting at 6400 RPM.
I have had it as high as 7500 in car club events but it was much younger then. :)

#8 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,621 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Do you have Pics of your Subie's Dashboard where it says 6,400?

I'll Like to see it... Does your EA71 came factory with Dual Carbs?

Kind Regards.

#9 ecky

ecky

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Roseburg, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've had my EA71 to 6,500 RPM no floating, knocking or anything of that nature. I was on the freeway and even held it there for a few miles. The oil pressure light flickered a bit when I came to a stop but I chock that up to running a heavy oil.

#10 howpow

howpow

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hi Loyale 2.7 Turbo. I would post a photo but I can't work out how to do it. I Can't find the "Add an album" link in my CP. Any suggestions? :confused:

#11 6 Star

6 Star

Boxer Nostalgic

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • South Seattle, WA

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Hi Loyale 2.7 Turbo. I would post a photo but I can't work out how to do it. I Can't find the "Add an album" link in my CP. Any suggestions? :confused:

Use a image hosting site such as photobucket. Even facebook photos work.
Just copy the "image location" and when posting select the little icon up above that looks like mountains and a sun. Paste the image location in and there you go, images in the forum post.

#12 howpow

howpow

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

The picture has worked (sort of). It will need double clicking as it's a thumbnail image.

Attached Files

#13 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,621 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Very nice Picture, I Really Like that clean dashboard! Posted Image

Thank you for posting that picture.

Kind Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic