Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did a dual range ever come with EFI?

Here's the deal.

About a year ago, I picked up a dual range wagon for free. It has been a great car. However, a year later, the wagon is starting to show thats it's time to retire. It has 217k, the tranny is grinding, the engine has lifter tick and next to zero oil pressure, and the water pump is screwed.

The body is rough too, and I just don't feel it is worth fixing it.

So, I am looking for a replacement.

I love everything about my current vehicle, but I would prefer one with EFI. But I want to keep the dual range.

They never had a turbo model mated to the dual range tranny, right?

SPFI started in late 86. D/R was discontinued after 88.

Rob. As far as I have been able to tell, all the Turbos that came with D/R are RX type D/Rs.. Little different gearing from the run of the mill D/R (especially after 87 when they went to FT4WD for the RX D/R) Additionally, all the RX type D/Rs are 3.70, as opposed to the 3.90 standard D/R.

Confused yet?:D

Surprisingly no one has yet suggested that you find the car w/ the engine that you want and then do a swap on the transmission. As long as you get a manual car it is easy. Since you live in Colorado, a close second to the NW for being Suby heaven, you will be able to find a D/R transmission at the JY quite easily.

I have an 89 Turbo Touring Wagon and swapped in a FT4wd D/R tranny from an RX. I did it myself but it would have been alot easier with another body to help on the install.