Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea82 Cylinder Head interchangeable?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Am helping a friend with his '90 Loyale ea82; we managed to put the driver's side head on the passenger side and vice a versa in the course of replacing the head gaskets. Now the tapped coolant port is on the wrong side to connect with the 90 degree tube from the intake manifold.

Any problem in cutting the angled tube and running a hose to the port that is now on the front of the driver's side? (Don't want to drill and tap the head on the passenger side and don't want to redo the head gaskets - engine in car.)

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

That's not a coolant port - that's the EGR exhaust port - hose will not work here. Would have to be steel tubing. Remember that it's going to be about 600* F in that tube.... thus it's heat sheild...

I would drill and tap the port and plug the open one.

GD

#3 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes, the heat shield - makes sense now. Thanks for the quick response!

#4 The FNG

The FNG

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Goldendale, WA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Dude, I for got that piece when I did my head gasket job too! (Even though I managed to get my heads on the right side.) I thought of doing the same thing, but it was too short of a distance. I really don't understand the function of the tube enough to give advise, but it seems reasonable. I would just be sure to use some sort of PCV hose that wont melt at high temps and wont collapse under any sort of vacuum.

#5 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Will do the drill and tap - is the best thing to do.

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,441 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I have seen an engine with backwards heads, and a copper tube run across for the egr. it will work. the heads are cast the same with the exception of the egr port being tapped on the one. You can tap an egr port on the other head if you have the machining tools.

#7 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

The tap required is a metric M16-1.5.

Edited by kayakertom, 25 January 2012 - 03:28 PM.
corect info

#8 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

How could it possibly work with the head on the wrong side? wouldn't it be upside down...?

#9 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

No, it is right-side up; the only difference besides the port problem, is that the exhaust manifold studs have to be moved.

How could it possibly work with the head on the wrong side? wouldn't it be upside down...?

#10 cnc

cnc

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

I wasn't paying attention when reassembling the engine and got the heads reversed. Not wanting to redo it, I made a plug piece on the lathe to block the EGR hole, using the existing flare nut. I just ran the car with heads reversed and no EGR and there was no apparent problem. Got 30+ mpg on hiway.
cnc

#11 81EA81

81EA81

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Spokane,WA

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

No, it is right-side up; the only difference besides the port problem, is that the exhaust manifold studs have to be moved.

So is the EGR pipe up front on the drivers side?Or is it down below drivers side?What about the cams? they sit pulleys forward but backward in the heads?

#12 kayakertom

kayakertom

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 325 posts
  • Lake Oswego

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Correct, the egr pipe is then up front on the driver's side.

Don't understand your second question.

So is the EGR pipe up front on the drivers side?Or is it down below drivers side?What about the cams? they sit pulleys forward but backward in the heads?

#13 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I think he's confused about the same thing that I'm confused about. If you take a head for the right side of the engine, and put it on the left side of the engine. Obviously you need to keep it right side up. Intake on top, exhaust on bottom.
Now to do that, the cam sprocket would be on the wrong end.

#14 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Cam cases are not part of the head.
They are separate entities.

#15 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Cam cases are not part of the head.
They are separate entities.

OK. Now it makes sense... A lot more sense.
Had I realized it wasn't like an EJ head I wouldn't be confused there.

#16 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

Wow, I'd most definitely re-do the heads - even if they fit 'the wrong way'. I didn't realise that the cam carriers could be fitted either way around but surely re-doing the heads is not expensive or particularly time consuming?

#17 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,747 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Wow, I'd most definitely re-do the heads - even if they fit 'the wrong way'. I didn't realise that the cam carriers could be fitted either way around but surely re-doing the heads is not expensive or particularly time consuming?

have to buy new gaskets, so costs about $50 and time. to each his own on what that's worth to an individual and time could depend how far you went...if cam carriers were installed and motor installed, if it was pulled to begin with, etc.

#18 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

If they're not too old, it's quite possible to re-use head gaskets - especially if you've just fitted them. Just re-torque plus 10% and use a quality head gasket sealant. Mind you, I'd probably have bought new gaskets!

#19 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

NO NO NO NO NO don't re-use headgaskets.

#20 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,269 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

NO NO NO NO NO don't re-use headgaskets.

What he said, thats just asking for trouble.

#21 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Goodness! What a strong reaction! clearly it's never ideal but over the years I've had to make do when times were hard (in reference to not doing what one can't afford to do) and have re-used with success - putting 70,000 miles on one of my L-series (on top of 130,000) before it succomed to excess crank-case compression. But I was not recommending it, just saying it's not at all impractical if you have to do it. In the case of this thread, the OP was happy to leave them be - so clearly I was just chatting... I've also made my own head gasket for an alluminium Imp engine (similar to Coventry Climax) but that only lasted about 20,000 miles; not bad for virtually no money.

#22 ScottyBigs

ScottyBigs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Medford Oregon

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:39 AM

So what if you plan to not use the EGR or any emissions crap at all can someone just plug that hole and be done??

#23 El Presidente

El Presidente

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Northgate/Seattle, WA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

So what if you plan to not use the EGR or any emissions crap at all can someone just plug that hole and be done??

Yes

Its better for your engine to run without an egr anyway. I usually take the threaded end off the metal tube and weld a bolt in the center hole, then throw it back in. The last motor I did I didn't have a welder nearby so I cut the tube, but I left a piece of the tube with the flared fitting. Then I dropped a screw upside down in the egr hole and put the threaded end/pipe piece back in the egr hole, worked great.

Josh

#24 angerthis

angerthis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Blaine/Bellinghame WA

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

as long as you have not started the motor you can ree use the head gaskets 

#25 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,040 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

OK. Now it makes sense... A lot more sense.
Had I realized it wasn't like an EJ head I wouldn't be confused there.

EJ22 heads can be swapped side ot side also......you just have to swap the cams to the correct side and swap the end cap and Cam Retainer.

EJ25 heads are not reversible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users