Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale - No Spark

robm

My 1993 Loyale (5sp, 4wd, 345,000km) started as normal the other night, then went about 200 feet, coughed, and died.

My boss was right behind me, so 10 minutes of troubleshooting soon came up with no spark. He towed me home, and today I had a closer look at it.

The cam belt is good. It turns the cam with the crank, no stripped teeth.

The rotor is firmly screwed in place.

There is 12 V at the coil.

The coil is good (1 ohm primary, 8 kohms secondary)

The coil wire is good (500 ohms resistance)

All that is left is the crank angle sensor in the distributor, the amplifier transistor under the coil, and the ECU. My Haynes manual does not do a good job of either showing how this stuff is wired, or how to troubleshoot it.

Does anyone have a proper wiring diagram for the ignition system?

Is there any way to test the remaining parts of the system with simple tools (Fluke DVM, e.g.)?

Thanks.

Found the problem. It turned out to be the cambelt after all. I rigged up a remote starter so I could actually watch cam and rotor while turning it over, rather than depending on marks on things, and whether they move or not, and it was obvious. The belt was missing at least 12 teeth.

(I have my starter wired through a relay under the hood, and so the remote start was a piece of cake. I recommend this mod, if for no other reason than having a simple, instant remote start feature built in to the vehicle. )

The scary thing is this belt has less than 90,000 km on it. It is getting close, but I thought the whole point of replacing it at 90k is so it won't break and leave you stuck at 120k.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 1 year later...

I have a similar prob- no spark and the wires to the coil may have been switched on my 94 loyale- can anyone tell me where wires from igniter go on the dist?  They are currently blueYellow on the  neg side and black black wi white stripes on the pos +?  is that right? or...

Appreciate the feedback and have a good one

Those wire colors are correct I think. Using a test light probe check to see if you have light pulses on the minus side of the coil while you crank the engine. If the light is steady ON then there is a possible problem with crank sensor. If there is no light then the coil has an open wire.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...