Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LPG frankenmotor build

Surprised more people aren't running LPG in old Subarus.

i don't know why more people don't run on LPG here....its literally under half the price of petrol....and i'm running nearly the same mpg on LPG that i was on petrol.....28 mpg (real gallons, not US/short gallons).

conversion costs a little bit but is soon made back at the price difference between the two fuel

I think it will always boil down to the convenience issue. Dunno what it's like over there, but here only a handful of gas stations in town also pump LPG, and most of them won't let you do it at night. Then, if you're out in the middle of nowhere and need fuel, it's very unlikely to find a small fuel station that sells it. Or if you run out of fuel on a trail or something, if someone comes along with a gas can, doesn't do you much good.

But for something that's a daily driver and never leaves town, would be a great idea. I've been wanting to do an LPG or biodiesel conversion to something, just haven't found the right vehicle.

Are you talking gas/LPG, LPG/CNG, or what? I've considered CNG as well, but apparently it's even harder to obtain here than LPG. Additionally, the price of LPG increased drastically this past year. Apparently it's close to the price of gasoline now, so that mostly defeats the purpose of the conversion. : /

I was talking gas/LPG and the price is coming down right now on the coast. Last week I paid $2.20 a gal for LPG at a retail place. With the dual fuel you can run either one.You lose a little power on the gas because of the way this one is installed but you gain on the propane. If you want gas/CNG you could do that also. I've seen CNG prices locally for $1.69 gal retail.