Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rugged Off Road Lights with High Output LEDS

Hi Everyone!

My BumbleBeast already has a Great Dual Beam H.I.D.'s with Natural (Yelowish) Colour, not Blueish; so it has Great Lights.

But as I Tend to Drive it 60% on Cities and Paved Roads and 40% off-Roading, those main headlamps are adjusted for Safer Visibility on Road, I Mean they're Two Beams and I take the measurements to avoid to burn the incoming driver's eyes by Using the Low beam which makes the Lights to come down nearby the front of the car.

So, I Need a good pair of Fog Lights to use under Off-Road conditions only; so I can move them to better achieve the ilumination pattern for our bad mountain roads and by this way, I'll have two different Light setups intended for the two Different Driving conditions.

In the Past I used Cheap chinese Fog Lights but the ones with Glass lenses, (not Plastic lenses) and I Prepared them for the Battle as Follows:

- Replaced the Cheap 55W Bulbs with an Good Quality (Osram or Flösser brands) 100W Bulbs

- Covered all the Surroundings of the Chinese Housing with Clear Silicone.

By that way, those Fog lights tend to perform very Good, but their metal housing tend to Rust after a couple of years of use and that leads to the back mirror on them to be blackened.

Tired of that, I'm now Hunting for an Alternative to that Solution... H.I.D. Fog lights are too expensive and since I do many off-Roading on my BumbleBeast, I have the risk to break them easily... Not worth the Cost.

So I Came across with these:

881005.jpg

They have rugged case housing and one-Watt output per each Led Bulb.

Have you ever seen a one watt led in a Flashlight? ... those are Powerful!

There are other cheaper alternatives on the Market, like this ones:

51I9o0Z2hOL_SS400_.jpg

But those make the Ten Watts output by the Sum of all the 10 LEDs, five on each Lamp...

Compare with the fourteen bulbs on each lamp of the Rugged ones: 28 watts on a Pair of Lamps.

Well... I Really liked the first ones, this are their measurements:

Portapapeles02-1.jpg

So I Believe they'll fit right under my BumbleBeast's front Bumper.

Also, some of the advantages of those Leds are that they suck less power from the electric System :brow: and they will last longer than any Halogens, plus they work at cooler temperature (Cool to the touch)... I Hope their Housing will be long lasting too, because it is made of aluminium... No Iron to Rust there.

The only problem is that those Rugged Off Road Led Lights are way too expensive for me...

:banghead:

But there are other ones even more Expensives like these:

51mdaJInmL_SS500_.jpg

The ones that I Like are expensive in Amazon

Now is Questions time:

- Does anyone Run Led Fog Lights (for Offroading) on a Subaru?

- Does anyone know where to buy them Cheaper?

- Or a Cheaper (but Good) Alternative?

I Really don't want to go back to Halogens anymore... :burnout:

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Sometimes my Mind goes Faster than my Hands, so I Mispelled some Words.

The first one you posted looks like a ridged industries product. They're really good lights. I've never actually used them on cars, but I've used them a bunch marine applications. They're absolutely amazing. Draw a fraction of halogens, and have the same output. I have been really impressed with them. They have lexan lenses with a lifetime warranty too, and if they stand up to salt water, they'll do well on a car.

I don't know any alternative though. Not one that's any good, at least. I've done a lot with LEDs on boats (because ofter power consumption is very important), and you get what you pay for.

The cheap ones are dim, have poor beams, and burn out quickly, or get dimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another Thread about the LED's on Cars, on the off-topic Forums:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129686

Now I've seen a set of aftermarket LED round lamps on a parked Range Rover, they looked aftermarket at all but Pricey...

Maybe some of these: http://www.piaa.com/LEDs/LEDs.html

I wish the enclosed reflected LED setups weren't so crazy expensive. The bulbs themselves cost very little, and since they don't have to worry about incandescent bulbs putting out crazy heat, they can engineer the enclosures much more easily and tightly. I'm tempted to just butcher some existing plastic reflectors out of flashlights or car headlights and wire in 5mm LEDs or some CREE LEDS. Would cost me a fraction of what these folks want.

• 11 months later...
... Bright, but no beam pattern to speak of so useless for lighting the way.

I Agree: Seems like all the Non enclosed-reflected LED setups are only "Useful" as Daytime running lights.

I wish the enclosed reflected LED setups weren't so crazy expensive. ...

Yes, Me too...

I Ended installing New Halogens in New Underbumper enclosures.

Kind Regards.

I did some digging around looking for LED driving lights a while back and thought the PIAA lp570 lights from amazon were probably the best deal for premade lights. I thought about custom fitting a set of after market lights with LEDs and it would be a more cost effective alternative but I figured the LEDs and a module to keep them from blowing up, and some little odds and ends to mount them up with, would run around $60-70. That would get me light ouput in the range of 1000 lumens between the two lights. I could get up to about 2000 lumens for another $35 or so. This would mean running a step up transformer to bring input voltage for the module up to 24v though to provide the extra voltage needed for more LEDs.

But lights that are designed for LEDs have a different reflector designed for the LED beam pattern. My custom set would require quite a bit of testing and research to get a proper beam from reflectors and lenses designed for a halogen bulb.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Thank you for the Link...

If you guys are looking for inexpensive but absurdly bright off road LED lighting...

http://blitzpro.com/...

...You're Right: They are Extremly Brilliant, but they are Not inexpensive.

Also they doesn't focus the Light Beam, so those kind of LED lights could be Hazardous to use on road.

Kind Regards.

Thank you for the Link...

...You're Right: They are Extremly Brilliant, but they are Not inexpensive.

Also they doesn't focus the Light Beam, so those kind of LED lights could be Hazardous to use on road.

Kind Regards.

For serious LED lighting, they are VERY inexpensive.

And I said off road. Perhaps you should read better.:rolleyes:

There are some decent cheap HID offroad light kits on eBay that are both really effing bright and use less power. Like some people suggest, get some used light enclosures from the junkyard, garage sales or eBay, but get an ebay HID conversion kit.

I got a cheapo dune buggy last year that had headlights but was missing bulbs. I took the opportunity to get a 35w HID conversion kit. Given, the original enclosures are for halogens, but since I'm only gonna need it for trails, not too worried about blinding anyone, and they're REALLY bright while actually using slightly less power. Only problem is that my stupid dune buggy runs the lights directly off the stator, so they're being fed AC current, and they flash like a strobe light! Easy fix, just need to wire them directly to the battery through the key and with a toggle switch.

Well, as I wrote:

... In the Past I used Cheap chinese Fog Lights but the ones with Glass lenses, (not Plastic lenses) and I Prepared them for the Battle as Follows:

- Replaced the Cheap 35W Bulbs with a Good Quality (Osram or Flösser brands) 100W Bulbs

- Covered all the Surroundings of the Chinese Housing with Clear Silicone.

By that way, those Fog lights tend to perform very Good, but their metal housing tend to Rust after a couple of years of use and that leads to the back mirror on them to be blackened. ...

And that is what I did, once again... but this Time, I found Halogen lamps with Rugged "Plastic" Housings, they'll never rust. ;)