Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire size/lowering jobs?

92_rugby_subie

I have plans of a 5 lug swap on 05 Legacy GT wheels.

They are the 5 spoke ones.

55mm offset

17"

I want to run tires so that I fill up the wheel well.

My 195/60/15s looked great, filled the wheel wells, but I wasnt lowered. Now I was thinking of lowering an inch? Maybe I should keep it stock? I still plan to DD NED after the 5 lug swap, and use him in the snow (when Oregon gets it). Although, an option is just to put 15/16" steelies on him with winter tires....

Im wondering who has done a 17"+ wheel on their GL wagon/sedan? Do you have pictures and specs. Im talking either stock height or lowered, not interested in the lifted rigs at the moment (sorry)

EDIT: PS, I do NOT want pancake tires either... I dont mind low profile if I need to.

17x8 +48s, with 215/45r17s. Lowered about 2". Fenders rolled at all 4 corners

PICT3397.jpg

PICT3398.jpg

PICT3399.jpg

springs: 250 lb/in front and 275 lb/in rear (stiffer than stock, but relatively soft for most coilover sleeves), with stock damping. Never had any rubbing issues with those tires.

205/65r15 snow tires (actually taller overall than the 17s) also fit fine.

I did have some issues with 225/55r16 track tires on stock WRX wheels as the offset was too high for 6.5" wide wheels.

17x8 +48s, with 215/45r17s. Lowered about 2". Fenders rolled at all 4 corners

PICT3397.jpg

PICT3398.jpg

PICT3399.jpg

springs: 250 lb/in front and 275 lb/in rear (stiffer than stock, but relatively soft for most coilover sleeves), with stock damping. Never had any rubbing issues with those tires.

205/65r15 snow tires (actually taller overall than the 17s) also fit fine.

I did have some issues with 225/55r16 track tires on stock WRX wheels as the offset was too high for 6.5" wide wheels.

Exactly what I was looking for!

Im a complete noob at the rolling fenders though, would I have a shop do that? I dont trust my skills :Flame:

So this question pertains to the 5 lug swap.

Found an XT6 car, blown motor... my idea is to buy it (super cheap) swap the 5 lug to the GL and then scrap the rest, basically getting a free 5 lug set-up... and sway-bars etc... what all can I use? The whole 5 lug? Swaybars? Anything else performance wise? An AWD swap with an EJ transmission is also in the future.

I want to do the rear e-brake conversion, but I also want to upgrade my brakes.... putting an EJ22T in the car, I need whoa to go with the go... ya know? (Cool story bro)

Can I upgrade bigger brakes? Like WRX brakes with the 5 lug swap? I am going with 17" wheels so Im not worried about clearance issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running my Enkeis on my XT6 currently but had them on my '87 RX too.

Enkei RPF1s 17x8, 45mm offset, running 215/45R17 Toyo Proxes 4s.

On my XT6, the tires have barely rubbed on the rear springs under HARD cornering. Just enough to take the paint off over time.

On the RX, they did almost the same thing to the springs as they did the ones on my XT6 which makes sense, same track width as an EA82. Now I also had the right rear tire rub on the inside of the quarter panel so I rolled it a bit, did it not as bad. Only under hard left cornering though.

My fixes?

I'm getting a different set of wheels for my XT6 (found a set of BBS LM replica 18x8 38mm offset for $500:banana:) as I have lots of room it the rear fender wells to offset them out a bit. If i decide to ever track it though, I will use the Enkeis with a small 3mm spacer.

The RX is getting box flares to fit wider tires for track days when I finish it someday:lol:

I think I will go 205/40/17 as I have found a few tire options that are affordable.

According to the Miata.Net tire size calculator:

Old tire: 185/70/13

New Tire: 205/40/17

Difference in height: .3"

Difference in speedometer: 60mph actually means 60.7mph :headbang:

No big deal.

But Id say that means I can drop 2 inches and not rub since if I dropped 2 inches now, I wouldnt rub... wheel wells look so huge...

• 1 month later...

I think Ive decided to switch the wheel/tire combo currently...

I really like these... not sure what color Id do them yet, MAYBE gold, but thinking white or black or gunmetal could look sick too :brow:

wantedwheels.jpg

I saw them on a lifted Loyale... and think they look sick... gives me a little more sidewall too, even when I lower the car down...

Gotta do research and make sure these are a good offset.

That would work. Anything over 50mm is going to rub on the springs, especially under hard cornering.

Am I safe for hard corning with 48 offset? Id probably run 205/50/16 but could go down to 195/50/16 if I was gonna have a rubbing issue... Im one that will turn sharply into a parking spot if I see it a second too late :headbang:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...