Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ head gasket walk through. Interest?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I've been toying with the idea of doing a walk through on the EJ25s for awhile and was wondering if there is any want for something like that? Would it be a good addition to the USRM? Since I do at least one a week at work, I was thinking about documenting them with pictures and post up a full write up on them, along with parts that are used.

Jus a thought.....

#2 tractor pole

tractor pole

[catch phrase here]

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Monroe, WA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

that would be great! I have been looking for a Forester with bad head gaskets to fix and make a winter car for my wife.

#3 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'd read it. I have been thinking about getting an Outback that needed head gaskets and either replacing them or dropping my EJ22 in, so I've been reading everything on head gaskets that I can find.

If you do a tutorial, include pictures!

#4 davebugs

davebugs

I don't "friend"

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Pittsburgh suburbs (NE)

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

I believe the best I'd found was the "skipnospam" link back in the day.

Combined with always getting the latest HG torque seguence from the dealer (actually the whole HG replacement procedure) just incase it changed.

I'm unaware of one for the 2.2 swap so that would be nice.

#5 vasy

vasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Richmond, VA

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've been toying with the idea of doing a walk through on the EJ25s for awhile and was wondering if there is any want for something like that? Would it be a good addition to the USRM? Since I do at least one a week at work, I was thinking about documenting them with pictures and post up a full write up on them, along with parts that are used.

Jus a thought.....

I'd really appreciate it if you can gather the pics/procedures and post it here. I have a 96 2.5. It still has the factory HGs, sooner or later I'll need to replace them. Once you post it, I'll copy/paste it to my hard drive and save it.

#6 vasy

vasy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Richmond, VA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Is there a write-up somewhere?

#7 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

A nice writeup with torque specs and procedures would be cool. Tips and tricks. Things like knowing that you should torque the water pump bolts twice, not compressing the tensioner too fast, how to hang the timing belt, etc would be good tips for beginners.
Also that 2.5 SOHC engines have a timing belt tooth count +3 on both sides of what the FSM says, that really boggled me the first time I did a 2.5 sohc.

#8 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,124 posts
  • WA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I had some communication with Russ tonight about this, we are going to try and get it done. Its going to take the better part of a day to do, so it needs to be set up in advance at where he works.

#9 Downbound

Downbound

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Merrickville, Ontario

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Here is the link to skips hg and clutch replacement...

http://home.comcast....eplacement.html

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

i do two 2.5 headgasket jobs a week never ending for the rest of my life at least i will always have work. I could show some pics of the head surfacer in action is neat to see when i surface the blocks how bad they realy are. A'm working on jiging it up to surface a assembled short block strait off the car will try on the 2.5d engine i do on thursday

#11 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,716 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Here is the link to skips hg and clutch replacement...

http://home.comcast....eplacement.html

I looked at that before I did mine it helped but in the end I went by the FSM it will be two years April since I did my HG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users