Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 idle issues..

87 gl-10

So my car has been doing this since I got it. it will idle just fine for around 10 mins then the idle slowly gets lower and lower till eventually it dies. Bad alt right? Not quite.. I replaced the alt with a known to be good unit . The problem has gotten worse now it will chug chug backfire then rev up just fine. I've seen a few posts saying a something about diodes? Any help would be nice. Ive got a 91 spfi parts wagon so name it and I'll try it .

Bump for help

I drove the car for a while lastnight with the new alt and battery it will idle just fine then after around 20 mins it'll start idleing down again And some times it will be idleing just perfect till I touch the gas pedal then it will idle down again. Also I have a spfi parts wagon so guess and I'll go swap it

Not sure, but I think you're 87 GL-10 would be MPFI, not SPFI.

Look at the top of the thermosatat housing. If there is a little black unit with 2 wires coming out the top....it's MPFI.....and that little black unit is you're IAC valve.

Check that it's connector gets power when running. Check the hoses going to and from it for cracks. You can even remove it and clean it out....test it with 12v and watch it move.

yes my gl-10 is indeed mpfi but i know that most of the emmisions parts and sensors are the same like the tps which has my vote. cant test anything yet as i dont have a voltmeter will have one by the end of the day tomorrow tho

but i will deffinatly check the iac im pretty good at making older electronics work so if its obvious ill fix it

i figured it out!!!! hahahahahahaha sooooo happy.

the intake boot from the maf to the turbo was torn right at the turbo the car would shake leak air and die. also explains why it would behave normally under boost because it would suck the intake boot down onto the turbo. it also explains why my car has been running pig rich.

now that thats solved how should i go about fixing it? i was thinking a new pipe from the turbo to the maf would do the trick(whats that little cylindrical thing sticking out of the intake for?) but since im already there i should look into cone filter and tmic. ive got a few extra dollars to spend any tips on that would be helpful as well.

got the new intake boot sealed up nice and tight cleaned my maf with some crc maf cleaner. runs perfectly now. except now the CEL is on code 21..oh well.. just another $56 to dump into it.. when i think about the amount of work ive done to this car im very proud of my self. when i think about the amount of money i've put into it it makes me sick... then i step on the gas spin all 4 up to 50 then i forget what i was thinking about. lol subaru for life!