Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyal... Need Help!!!

Hey guys, new to the forum...

I was needing some info on a 1990 4wd Loyale turbo EA82 4EAT wagon. I got it for near nothing because the owner thought the trans was out. I was hoping it was just the linkage because it will go into all forward gears and neutral fine, but it grins in reverse and doesn't engage in park. Well i got the thing home and checked the linkage and it appears to be working by looking at it. Do I need to tare into the transmission to see for sure if its gone. Or is it shot?? And if so how much would a used transmission cost or a rebuild kit run... also it makes a load noise when I take my foot off the gas when going over about 15 mph but I'm about sure that's just the speed cable.

Any information would help, I'm new to subarus and this car is close to perfect condition inside and out and really wroth fixing.

Someone will come along soon with info about the tranny specifics, but I can speak from experience that a 'new' one will run $100-$150 or so from a junkyard. They are pretty hardy (aka usually not the reason the car is in the yard) and will last the life of the car or more if kept full of fluid. Not that they'll go far without! A five speed would be an excellent swap if you go that way, and will mate to the engine if you swap the flexplate for a flywheel (also available at the yard) with a clutch and pressure plate. The axles will also mate to either transmission as long as they are both either turbo or non-turbo (turbo has 25 axle splines, non-turbo 23).

actually the turbo 3at uses 23 spline the turbo 5mt uses 25 spline.. speaking from experience and the 5 speed d/r would be the way to go just make sure you have correct ratios.

sounds like the parking paw. some one probably put it in park while it was still moving and if i recall theres band adjusters on the drivers side right under the shift linkage. and also check the vaccum line to the transmission down shift diaphragm.

and last but not least a new tranny filter would probably help.

those transmissions dont die unless severely neglected so id say pick up a haynes/chiltons repair manual they're only like $10-25

hopefully someone with access to FSM for 1987+ will post and fill in a few blanks

Edited by AKghandi

actually the turbo 3at uses 23 spline the turbo 5mt uses 25 spline.. speaking from experience and the 5 speed d/r would be the way to go just make sure you have correct ratios.

{snip}

Ok, good to know. Chances are I will forget just in time for the info to become useful, then I'll get pissed, then I'll remember that I already learned 'it' somewhere :grin:

BTW, why did they put a 3spd behind a turbo? (Redundant question, don't answer)

First off, thanks for your help guys I had know idea about the difference in axels, but im sure I'll run across it as this car is gonna be my off road rally type project car.

I'm pretty sure my auto is a 4 speed. I'm new to subarus but I think it has the 4eat trans in it. Looking at the shift indicator it has D, 3, 2, and then the hold 1 button which seems to gear the car down into low range when activated.

How difficult is the swap to 5 speed? I kindda know about it, but is there any real difficultys in doing it? Are the brackets there for the pedal hookups?? Any mods within the engine bay for clutch???

As always thanks for the help.

P.S. any 4x4 offroad mod ideas are much needed!!!!

sounds like the parking paw. some one probably put it in park while it was still moving and if i recall theres band adjusters on the drivers side right under the shift linkage. and also check the vaccum line to the transmission down shift diaphragm.

and last but not least a new tranny filter would probably help.

those transmissions dont die unless severely neglected so id say pick up a haynes/chiltons repair manual they're only like $10-25

hopefully someone with access to FSM for 1987+ will post and fill in a few blanks

EA82Ts with autos starting in '88 could come with a 4EAT. I've had 2 cars with them.

The 4EATs are a 25 spline, regardless of turbo/NA engine. All 3ATs had a 23 spline and manual NA transmissions had a 23 spline. All full time 4wd manual transmissions had a 25 spline, along with the '85 '86 part time 4wd dual range turbo transmissions.

There's probably more variations but that should be it for the most part.

The clutch part of things is pretty basic. Just remove the flexplate and bolt on a flywheel from a 5speed car, the clutch kit will bolt on to that. The cable assembly mounts entirely to the transmission (once it's routed through the firewall) so no mods to the engine bay.

You do have to install a clutch pedal and cable, but it's doable, use the search function (look in the bar at the top of the page) to find more information. The actual work is not that challenging. It's heavy, but the details are not too bad, speaking from experience. Less than twenty bolts if my count is correct.

The clutch part of things is pretty basic. Just remove the flexplate and bolt on a flywheel from a 5speed car, the clutch kit will bolt on to that. The cable assembly mounts entirely to the transmission (once it's routed through the firewall) so no mods to the engine bay.

You do have to install a clutch pedal and cable, but it's doable, use the search function (look in the bar at the top of the page) to find more information. The actual work is not that challenging. It's heavy, but the details are not too bad, speaking from experience. Less than twenty bolts if my count is correct.

The 4EAT to 5 speed swap is a bit more complex when it comes the wiring over the 3AT to 5 speed swap. I've done both but I put a push button start in the car that had the 4EAT, and was only powered when the key was held in the run position.

Well guys thanks for the posts.

I was going to get around to working on the loyale this weekend but ended up down in south carolina working overtime all weekend.

I've been putting some thought into it, and pretty much I belive I'm gonna keep the 4eat tranny under her. Gonna pull the transmission out this coming weekend to see just what's going on. So far I think I'll be able to get by with a rebuild kit at the wrost. While I got her off the ground I'm going to do some minor body work and possible put a 2in lift under her that I've found in one of the threads, that way she's gonna be ready for when I do get the tranny fixed.