Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Attn Portlanders! Anybody know of a mechanic...

I just put in a new Hitachi carb in my '86 GL Wagon. Great power increase but now I've got an erratic idle. I've looked for the obvious: vacuum leaks, leaks around carb and intake manifold gaskets, etc. I've tried adjusting the base mixture but no go. All ignition parts are new: plugs, wires, etc.

Now I'm frustrated and am looking for a reliable mechanic in the Portland area. Anybody have any recommendations as to who can tune a Hitachi/diagnose this kind of thing? Do any of you competent Subie folks want to make a little extra cash by fixing this yourself?

Thanks,

Aiden

Canby, OR

Originally posted by playswithfire

I just put in a new Hitachi carb in my '86 GL Wagon. Great power increase but now I've got an erratic idle. I've looked for the obvious: vacuum leaks, leaks around carb and intake manifold gaskets, etc. I've tried adjusting the base mixture but no go. All ignition parts are new: plugs, wires, etc.

Now I'm frustrated and am looking for a reliable mechanic in the Portland area. Anybody have any recommendations as to who can tune a Hitachi/diagnose this kind of thing? Do any of you competent Subie folks want to make a little extra cash by fixing this yourself?

Thanks,

Aiden

Canby, OR

Two questions. Why a new Hitachi when Webers are available?

Have you tried messing with your timng to get it to match your new carb?

Sean at RalliTek may be able to help you too. They are in SE Portland. 503-309-8645

I put a new(not reman) hitachi in my GL and sold my Weber because I'm trying to get the best mpg possible. From what I've read and heard, Webers get 23-25 mpg and my old hitachi was getting 28-30. Five mpg with gas prices only expected to go higher adds up in $$$ saved quickly. Hence the hitachi vs. weber.

I have not moved the timing away from stock. Stock carb to stcok carb swap: would the timing need to be changed?

Thanks for the name of RichieRich. I'll pmail him and see if he can help me out. I'll also try sean at Rallytech.

Thanks, Mudrat, Zapar and northguy!

--Aiden

I got 32 MPG with a brand new Weber - I would say that those who claim less have not got them properly adjusted, or are using used Weber's that aren't quite perfect. Since mine was brand new, and (I think) properly adjusted, I got some damn good mileage from it with the 175's I had on the car at the time. Of course now with the 28" mudders I get about 17....

The Hitachi's aren't bad if you rebuild them carefully - but the best I've seen one get is 30 consistently - and that's with the Cali emmissions stuff - computer controlled feedback system. I doubt that a new Hitachi, against a new Weber would win. The problem is the complicated design of the Hitachi.

If you like tho, I could take a look at it for you. I'm here in West Linn - about 15 minutes from Portland.....

And Zap is right - you should check the timing. Variations in the height of the carb and the mixture can affect it - plus the timing is supposed to be set at a specific RPM - and if your not idleing correctly, then likely it needs checking at least.

GD

Would be more than happy to have you bring it in.

My FATHER, not me is good with carberators. He has worked for Subaru since '79. He can even make the most high-mileage carb run really well. So yours should be pretty easy.

Give a call when you get a chance. Evening or Saturday appintments work best with his schedule, or leaving it for a couple of days.

Superior Import Repair

503-288-8634