Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locked my keys in car

Put a shim through the top of the window to pull it away from the jam.

Slide a long, thin metal object (like a tong/poker/campfire hotdog roaster stick) down through the gap you made and tap at the unlock switch until it flicks over.

Just be careful. ;)

Believe me, an Old Datsun / Nissan key Could work: They're identical to the Old subaru ones and sometimes the worn out Lock will open after some key twists.

But also, if any of the doors has a window at least half inch down, you can Slide a thin but solid and long metallic stick from that side to the opposite side door's lock and press open it.

I Did both solutions in different Situations, years ago...

I Hope those ideas can Help you.

Kind Regards.

cheapest way is to get spare key(s) made when you buy a car and tuck the spare key under your bed.

cost, 1.89.

price saved, about 75.

please sticky this before my ban.

They used to teach this stuff in drivers-ed even. Why don't people get it?

Edited by bheinen74

Someone was saying something recently about using something like a yard stick but maybe longer and reaching through and getting the lock on the opposite door?

This. I've done it on half a dozen subarus (of all gens....as long as they have frameless windows).

Which model Subaru do you have? One time I locked myself out and had AAA come out to open the car. He couldn't get it open and finally (after an hour) called his office. Office guy told him it's easier to unlock the car from the rear door; almost impossible to do it from the front door. Five minutes later he had the rear door open.

yard stick and i've used a pool stick before as well.

old Subaru keys that are warn often work in multiple subarus. i've done it countless times - have a key that works in multiple subarus. in my experience the ignition is more forgiving in this manner though, probably because it is also used and warn more as well, just a guess and maybe it's coincidence but i've had them work in the door before as well.

Subaru can cut you a key off the VIN number (at least 90% of the time they can - if the original sales paperwork was properly filled out). or you can call a Subaru dealer if they're nice or you don't live close to a ghetto. they can look up the key code for you from the VIN. not necessarily likely to do that over the phone, since you could just do it for any car - but for an old car like this they might. i do it all the time with a dealer. i'll have them cut the key and a friend pick it up. LOL

if you have the 4 digit key code any locksmith, or the dealer, can cut you a key as well.

thanks guys we got it open prying the window out and using a metal rod to hit the lock switch. It was quite a pain because the lock switch is so stubborn and stiff to move and there isn't a good angle. Im just glad we got it because I almost missed an Atmosphere concert due to this. Thanks