Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 GL wagon msd ignition and coil?

I would go with a new or even used stock coil. The current draw of the stock unit is matched to the power transistor on the mounting bracket. The added current required by some of the aftermarket ones can actually cause a failure in another part of the ignition system, at least this has been my experience. The stock setup is hard to beat for function and reliability.

I would go with a new or even used stock coil. The current draw of the stock unit is matched to the power transistor on the mounting bracket. The added current required by some of the aftermarket ones can actually cause a failure in another part of the ignition system, at least this has been my experience. The stock setup is hard to beat for function and reliability.

+1

....and a stock ignition is perfectly adequate for anything that you can do to a EA81 engine...i had a stock coil etc on my LPG EA81 and it worked fine... and if anything is going to show up a weakness with an ignition system its LPG

keep it in good nik and you won't have any problems with it

FYI - Just picked up a Hitachi (Made in Japan) from Amazon for <$33. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-W0133-1628608-HIT-Ignition-Coil/dp/B001HLZ6JG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327752524&sr=8-1

My existing, original coil is not bad at all, but I was troubleshooting starting issues and purchased a few additional parts in case... Will install the new one and keep the original as a spare. However, universal recommendation here is to stay stock.

Yeah if you get the "Altrom" Coil from Napa it's a factory Hitachi coil. I think mine was like $40 or so. (In fact most of the "Altrom" line of parts from them even comes in Subaru bags from what I've gotten, all factory parts it seems) Everything I've read states that the stock ignition system is pretty particular. Can burn things up by mis-matching parts. Saw a thread on here years back that said you can burn up the parts in the disty by using the wrong coil as well.