Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Burnt Clutch Smell & Squeal!?!?

2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

I'm new to Subaru, first one. I've been a Honda Girl m whole life! Please HELP!

I was driving my son to school this a.m. & on the way back I'm pulling into the drive way & the clutch sticks to the floor, not returning until I turned the car off. My car filled with the typical burnt clutch smell. I cranked her back up & when I engaged the clutch, she made a squealing sound!?!?! I can still drive her, but with the clutch engaged it squeals!

I checked all fluids, levels are all where they should be. Is the clutch going out, already out? WTF is going on? :banghead:

How many miles and did you own it from the beginning or was it bought used?

Does the car/clutch shake when changing gear? Or does it feel 'sticky' when shifting gear?

Could clutch is worn, pressure plate with spring is not returning (worn pressure groups).

Used & It's around 90k miles, I know the owner personally & he "Says" he has kept her up mechanically. There is no shaking, the clutch just stuck to the floor & returned once I turned the car off. I turned her on again & engaged the clutch, it squealed but went into gear fine. Still with the burnt smell.

Might have someone get in the car and press on the pedal while you look under the hood at the clutch fork linkage. That'll tell ya if the hydraulic system is your problem or not.

Otherwise I'd say your clutch is just going out. Sometimes a piece will break off and get stuck, causing it to still work but either stick or smoke.

Could be 2 unrelated things happening.

In winter, the squeal at startup could be the power steering belt. That is an easy tightening adjustment in your driveway. Are you noticing it harder to steer at all?

If your clutch is staying at floor only when the car is warm/hot, but behaving normally when the car is cold, then a seal is getting old in either the master or the slave cylinder of the clutch system. A mechanically savvy friend can work on that for you, if you don't want to replace it yourself. My car is at the stage where the clutch pedal will do that now ONLY if the car is REALLY HOT....like sitting in summer traffic jam. So, I will fix it this spring.

To test the clutch, start the engine, set the parking brake firmly and put it in 3rd gear(with nothing in front of the car) and rev the engine to about 2000rpm, then let the clutch pedal up and the car should stall at once. If if keeps running/slows a little, then the clutch is kaput.

Might have someone get in the car and press on the pedal while you look under the hood at the clutch fork linkage. That'll tell ya if the hydraulic system is your problem or not.

Otherwise I'd say your clutch is just going out. Sometimes a piece will break off and get stuck, causing it to still work but either stick or smoke.

Thanks so much! We're going to put her up on the lift in my Dad's shop this friday.

The fingers on the pressure plate broke. I've seen two different '07 Imprezas with that same issue come into my shop both with broken pressure plates. The throw out bearing basically has stuck into the pressure plate which is why the pedal went to the floor.

Thank you!

If so would the pedal come back up & still be drivable? I drove her about 20mins to my Dad's to drop her off and it didn't do it again. Just squealed while the clutch was engaged changing gears. She is also idling kinda strange while in neutral, like she wants to cut off. She goes from 1000 to a little below then back up to 1000?

• 1 year later...