Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help with EJ swap into Brat

lyter1983

Quoting Numbchux: "First off, the relays: You’ll only need 2. The Main/Ignition Relay (Brown) and the Fuel pump

relay (Green Connector). You will use the EA starter relay, as it’s already wired in where it’s

needed."

Well - Numchux must have made a mistake there - there is not, and never has been, a starter relay on any Subaru prior to 1990. There *may* be a relay controlled by the clutch switch on manual's 90 and up.... in any case the starter circuit is NEVER touched when doing an EJ swap. It's 100% seperate from the engine control system except for the start signal wire to the ECU which comes directly off the starter solenoid wire.

According to my manual, the brown one is the "main relay" and the green and yellow one is the "starter interlock relay"??

The starter interlock relay is used on EJ's to prevent you from starting the car in gear on auto's or without pushing the clutch on manuals. But you aren't transplanting the starting circuit - you are transplanting the engine control systems. So what do you need it for?

And I'm using the 5spd tranny from the Legacy. I though you only need a TCU for an automatic??

I was thinking you had an auto harness - but I realize now that your interlock relay is for the clutch switch on the Legacy. You have no such animal on the Brat so you don't need an interlock.

GD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - Numchux must have made a mistake there - there is not, and never has been, a starter relay on any Subaru prior to 1990. There *may* be a relay controlled by the clutch switch on manual's 90 and up.... in any case the starter circuit is NEVER touched when doing an EJ swap. It's 100% seperate from the engine control system except for the start signal wire to the ECU which comes directly off the starter solenoid wire.

The starter interlock relay is used on EJ's to prevent you from starting the car in gear on auto's or without pushing the clutch on manuals. But you aren't transplanting the starting circuit - you are transplanting the engine control systems. So what do you need it for?

I was thinking you had an auto harness - but I realize now that your interlock relay is for the clutch switch on the Legacy. You have no such animal on the Brat so you don't need an interlock.

GD

Allrighty then. Do I need to splice any of the ignition wires to the Brat ignition? So the EJ knows when I'm turning the key to start it?

Allrighty then. Do I need to splice any of the ignition wires to the Brat ignition? So the EJ knows when I'm turning the key to start it?

You need to read some more.;)

The only wires that needs to go to the EA ignition is the 12v switch lead. (light green IIRC?) and the starter signal wire from ECU (Red/yellow or Blue)

The other fat yellow wire from the IG. relay goes to battery power.

Black/red wire from the EJ Fuel pump relay(green 4pin connector, round relay) goes to the Blue/red wire at the EA fuel pump controler (or wherever else you want to hook up the 12v + to the pump.

You need to read some more.;)

The only wires that needs to go to the EA ignition is the 12v switch lead. (light green IIRC?) and the starter signal wire from ECU (Red/yellow or Blue)

The other fat yellow wire from the IG. relay goes to battery power.

I found the starter switch pin 83 big red/yellow wire from the ecu.

I assume when you say IG. relay, you are referring to the main relay?

mainrelay.jpg

So this light green wire that goes to the ecu is the 12v switch lead?

The yellow/blue goes to ECU, MAF and Pressure control solenoid valves.

The yellow/red goes to data link connector, o2 sensors etc engine stuff.

Both reds go to fuel pump relay, ECU, OBD2 connector and main f/b sbf.

Black is ground. Do I need to use that slow blow fuse then to battery?

I know I'm asking a lot here.. This EJ swap ended up requiring a little more knowledge than I thought I would need.

Is there a chance I could pay one of you wiring pros for a labeled picture of a finished OBD2 harness?

My work starts up next week. As a landscaper, my spring and summer are busy. 7 days a week, sun up to sun down. If I can't get my Brat running within this week, I don't see it happening til the fall. That's gonna leave me driving my bosses truck all summer. Driving that gas guzzler is not going to help my money situation.

My goal is to get away from this ish hole. I'm sick of living somewhere that doesn't make me happy. I want to live in Colorado. I plan to move in the fall. If I'm wasting my money in this big truck all year and still trying to get the Brat finished in the fall, I'll be stuck here for another year. I really don't want to be stuck here for another year.

I really hope someone understands. I'm offering to pay for someone to just label a picture of a finished harness. I still have to finish my own harness. It's just a lot more details and knowledge required than expected.

Thanks.

I would, but I don't have a finished harness lying around.

What year and model is the harness from again?

Maybe I could make you up a cheat sheet with wire colors.

You are well on your way. This is the hard part.....first swap......harness spaghetti everywhere.......intimidating.

But you can do it.

Do yourself a favor, and thin out the extra relays.....you JUST need the Fuel pump relay and the IG. relay.

I would, but I don't have a finished harness lying around.

What year and model is the harness from again?

Maybe I could make you up a cheat sheet with wire colors.

You are well on your way. This is the hard part.....first swap......harness spaghetti everywhere.......intimidating.

But you can do it.

Do yourself a favor, and thin out the extra relays.....you JUST need the Fuel pump relay and the IG. relay.

A cheat sheet would be SO appreciated!

It's a 98 Legacy L wagon 2.2 AWD

This is where I'm at so far...

currentwiring.jpg