Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 subaru loyale staion wagon and hello

hello ppl ... i have a new to me 92 subaru ... ... well almost about to go buy it ... it has 250k on it its really clean ...anything i should look at before putting down the cash on this ...its a 5 speed 4x4 asking 1000 for it ... really love to get it but the miles kinda scare me ... i know ppl talk about these running forever ... but would like to ask some of you what you think thanks !!!!

Regal

from Minnesota

Welcome!

The EA82 series can last for hundreds of thousands of miles, given they are taken care of. However, it is 20 years old and they do begin to develop silly quirks at this age.

First, find out what kind of maintenance has been done. If the maintenance records are lacking, then I assume it will need a timing kit (it won't harm the engine if the belt lets go, but why get stranded?), coolant hoses and water pump with an OEM thermostat, a minimum of a radiator flush (they run quite warm normally, which is great during the winter, not so much during the summer). At 250K miles, and depending on how often the coolant was replaced, there is a chance the heater core may let go before 300K miles. Also check the underside from stem to stern looking for rust since you are in snow country. Of course, there's the regular tune-up stuff and the CV axle boots, but that's part of owning any car.

I can be a bit over the top when it comes to maintenance, but, I live in the high desert so I push the limits of the car just by driving down the highway. I've tried the wait till it breaks game and it always manages to break 90+ miles from home.

As long as the cooling system is in good shape, t-belts replaced every 60K miles, and don't treat it as a race car, it will go for miles on end! They're fun little cars with the most personality I have ever seen in a car and that is why I love them.:)

Welcome!

The EA82 series can last for hundreds of thousands of miles, given they are taken care of. However, it is 20 years old and they do begin to develop silly quirks at this age.

First, find out what kind of maintenance has been done. If the maintenance records are lacking, then I assume it will need a timing kit (it won't harm the engine if the belt lets go, but why get stranded?), coolant hoses and water pump with an OEM thermostat, a minimum of a radiator flush (they run quite warm normally, which is great during the winter, not so much during the summer). At 250K miles, and depending on how often the coolant was replaced, there is a chance the heater core may let go before 300K miles. Also check the underside from stem to stern looking for rust since you are in snow country. Of course, there's the regular tune-up stuff and the CV axle boots, but that's part of owning any car.

I can be a bit over the top when it comes to maintenance, but, I live in the high desert so I push the limits of the car just by driving down the highway. I've tried the wait till it breaks game and it always manages to break 90+ miles from home.

As long as the cooling system is in good shape, t-belts replaced every 60K miles, and don't treat it as a race car, it will go for miles on end! They're fun little cars with the most personality I have ever seen in a car and that is why I love them.:)

sweet thanks for the info !!!!!

hey there i recently also purchased a 1992 Subaru Loyale 4x4 wagon myself with 148K on it for 900$, 2 major faults with it for that price were bad clutch, and bad passenger axle, one thing i was told it had also was a oil leak, little did i know that it coats the catalytic converter so it always looks like its on fire LOL but good thing is i only use about a quart every 1200mi or so, other than that i got one hell of a deal. i'm looking at 500$ for the install of clutch and axle at local mechanics shop... this is my 4th subaru (second ea82) and not one time in the life ive had them have they EVER left me stranded anywhere, with exception of running outta gas LOL, to say the least my last ea82 got me from colorado to arizona on a bad engine i will always stand by my subaru's! Good luck and Enjoy! P.S. They do most definatly have personalitys lol

Having a good body is probably the most important thing. Everything else can be replaced fairly cheaply. Unless you're wanting to build a beater offroad rig, check the fenders behind all the wheels to see how bad the rusting is. Also check around the windshield for rust, especially at the bottom.

Check the CV boots to see if any have torn. Common problem that most folks don't notice.

Peek under the front to see how bad the oil leaks are. Leaks at the valve covers are common, and as long as it's not hemorrhaging over the exhaust, it's probably fine. The big one is the rear main seal, so check the bottom of the bellhousing.

Jack it up if you can and wobble the wheels top to bottom to check wheel bearings. And on the test drive, listen for them squeaking. Helps to swerve back and forth a bit. And get onto a highway to see if there are any high speed vibrations. Also, from highway speed, jump on the brakes and hold the steering wheel loosely to see if it pulls to the left or right when braking, and if there's any pulsation from a warped rotor.

A $1000 pricetag is a pretty good deal if the body's in decent shape. Even if not, if the mechanicals are solid, that's still a good price.

And if you do find anything wrong, it isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. Just bring it up with the seller and figure how much it'd cost ya to fix.