Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy wagon ej22e.... doin a 5 speed swap come july....need to plan ahead lol

what do i need all in all for a list of parts? i have an idea but just wanting to know if i missed anything...... im getting the pedal assy. , tranny crossmember, and shifter /shift linkage tomarrow for $25 :)

now i know that i need a short throw shifter to clear the console for the a/t shifter.....could someone shed a lil light on that also?

any tips tricks? also how hard is it to remove flexplate bolts? and what ft lbs do i torque to putting the flywheel on?

my list:

driveshaft for mt

misc. wiring done.

tranny and matching rear diff.

new clutch kit and flywheel and pressure plate.

hydro or cable? not sure..... shed some light?

clutch alignment tool... which one? spline count?

also are all awd front axle splines the same for all trannys that will fit my car?

what to stay away from at all costs? easy mistakes?

anyone have any of these parts thatll ship to ct for a reasonable price? doin this on a budget.

GD i bet you would be the one with the most info on this lol

any info is definitly appreciated!

thanks!

-jarrid

edit: also what years wrx tranny will fit? anything id have to get with it (special)?

Much easier and cheaper to just buy a car with a manual trans in it already. More than likely you'll need a WHOLE donor car for all the parts.

But if you're hell bent.

The basics, you already know, transmission, and matching rear diff if the trans you get has a different FDR than the one you already have. I wanna say the automagic in the 95 Legacy had 3.9 FDR, but I'm not 100% on that.

The front half of the driveshaft is all you really need, but it doesn't hurt to get the whole thing.

Flywheel and the bolts that hold it to the crankshaft. The MT flywheel is much wider than the AT flexplate, the AT bolts won't even reach all the way through.

If you're dead set on a WRX transmission you will need a flywheel to match the car the trans comes out of. This is why it's helpful to have a whole parts car.

Clutch kit, must match the transmission. And the kit will come with the alignment tool you need.

Hydraulic or cable depends on which year trans you get. Just match with the transmission. Cable is easier IMO because it just works, and hydraulics are always a PITA.

Shifter and pedals, and the center console trim w/ shift boot.

Nothing wrong with using a WRX trans, but it will be $$$$$ whereas any other regular 5 speed is only going to be $$. There is no advantage to using a WRX transmission. The acceleration may be very slightly better, but it's just not worth the extra cost IMO. You can only do so much with an EJ22, the transmission won't make it any faster, and you'll give up highway gas mileage because the engine will be running higher rpm.

Pretty much any EJ transmission will fit, so the only real limit will be what kind of budget you have for the project. Older cars will be less expensive.

95 legacy wagon ej22e.... doin a 5 speed swap come july....need to plan ahead lol

what do i need all in all for a list of parts? i have an idea but just wanting to know if i missed anything...... im getting the pedal assy. , tranny crossmember, and shifter /shift linkage tomarrow for $25 :)

now i know that i need a short throw shifter to clear the console for the a/t shifter.....could someone shed a lil light on that also?

any tips tricks? also how hard is it to remove flexplate bolts? and what ft lbs do i torque to putting the flywheel on?

my list:

driveshaft for mt

misc. wiring done.

tranny and matching rear diff.

new clutch kit and flywheel and pressure plate.

All that sounds reasonable

hydro or cable? not sure..... shed some light?

Your car is cable clutch. I would stick with that. That means 90 to 96 transmissions. And no turbo transmissions.

clutch alignment tool... which one? spline count?

Comes with the clutch kit. Buy ONLY an Exedy kit. Amazon has the best price.

also are all awd front axle splines the same for all trannys that will fit my car?

All the axles that will fit your car will interchange.

what to stay away from at all costs? easy mistakes?

Steer clear of turbo transmissions - going to be a headache and you don't need one with an EJ22. Outback tranny from '96 will give nice close ratios with stock Legacy tire sizes.

anyone have any of these parts thatll ship to ct for a reasonable price? doin this on a budget.

GD i bet you would be the one with the most info on this lol

I have some info but I've never done exactly what you are proposing. Though I have a customer that wishes to do this on a '96.

You will have to bypass the neutral start inhibitor wires in the plug that went to the automatic shifter. Should be easy to find with a meter.

any info is definitly appreciated!

thanks!

-jarrid

edit: also what years wrx tranny will fit? anything id have to get with it (special)?

Stay away from the turbo stuff. It will make your swap a much harder and more expensive process with the hydro pull clutch, different flywheel, and all that mess... And it's really uneccesary unless you are pushing over 200 HP or so. The non-turbo 5MT's are just as good and are unlikely to have been abused as much as a cheap WRX tranny.

GD