Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Light Bar / Brush Guard / Bull Bar / Skid Plate

Skemcin

Not trying to be rude by all means, but I'm kinda cusiose how many places the bar bolts to the body and where? From what I can see in the pictures it's only 6?

Now for me and where I live I'd be curious to see how much it can handle on the roads over here in Oregon going under a "milde use" to me, it could be small trees growing down the center of the road running them over along with small bolders. Needing a lot of brute streangth to push them over.

I'd make one and put it on a rig you want to beat up, and really see what it can handle. Ram some trees and give it a good ol beater upper down some rocky gnarly roads.

-Prwa AAE

Not trying to be rude by all means, but I'm kinda cusiose how many places the bar bolts to the body and where? From what I can see in the pictures it's only 6?

Now for me and where I live I'd be curious to see how much it can handle on the roads over here in Oregon going under a "milde use" to me, it could be small trees growing down the center of the road running them over along with small bolders. Needing a lot of brute streangth to push them over.

I'd make one and put it on a rig you want to beat up, and really see what it can handle. Ram some trees and give it a good ol beater upper down some rocky gnarly roads.

-Prwa AAE

I don't think you're being rude at all - valid questions and concerns.

On the bar with the winch mount there a total of 10 mount points. They are:

- Two on the front corners of the subframe

- One on each side of the front main frame

- One on each side at the back/end of the bar to the main frame

- Two on the center jack mount

- Two throw the bumper beam where the license plate bracket used to be

The skid plate covers the width of the lower radiator support funneling back to the area just behind where front axles come out of the front diff - that includes protection of the front section of the exhaust too.

I've hit a few mild trails out here going a little faster than I should and in areas that my clearance was challenged - and the bar has done its job well.

I would love and look forward to testing it more each time out but until I can afford a test/beater vehicle I have to go with what I've done and what my customers have done.

I am just beginning a conversation with a local owner of an 81 wagon so I'm pretty excited about the opportunity to build something with a more deep offroad purpose - we'll see.

Sent using my iPod

As I mentioned earlier, I sincerely appreciate your feedback and cannot discredit any of the points you make - again all very valid. I hope my response shows how we have thought through the design and purpose of the bar and winch to a degree that satisfies our customers. I know one of our Baja customers has posted a few stories of his offroading experiences with the bar where he has winched himself and other vehicles out of some interesting situations. I will make a point to touch base with him to see if he has any video or if he will take some video the next time he is out.

Anyhow, I truly respect your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to post them. Of course, I welcome more feedback to these thoughts as I am always looking to learn more.

Thanks again.

Cheers. And I tried to use wording that would make it obvious I wasn't trying to be a jerk. :) I appreciate your time in explaining your observations and your ideas.

Best of luck, we don't have too many folks catering to imprezas/legacy/outbacks when it comes to off road stuff.

Something to know about winches. If it says 4500 on the winch, it is only good for 4500 on the final wrap of the cable. Every time you let out a wrap, the rating changes for the worst, drastically. Scroll down to page 7 to see what I mean, I chose a 4700 lb WARN for example. WARN user manual

Cheers. And I tried to use wording that would make it obvious I wasn't trying to be a jerk. :) I appreciate your time in explaining your observations and your ideas.

Best of luck, we don't have too many folks catering to imprezas/legacy/outbacks when it comes to off road stuff.

Something to know about winches. If it says 4500 on the winch, it is only good for 4500 on the final wrap of the cable. Every time you let out a wrap, the rating changes for the worst, drastically. Scroll down to page 7 to see what I mean, I chose a 4700 lb WARN for example. WARN user manual

Yeah, I always read posts twice to make sure I don't "read into it" - I don't tend to react to that anyhow but I totally understood where you were coming from and as I mentioned I welcome and appreciate it. I'm definitely not one to portray myself as someone who knows anymore about something than the next guy. So I appreciate all your input.

I have spoken to a Superwinch representative who actualy told me how the documented winch rating are much lower than their actual capabilities. This is basically because of the common misconception you point out - so many folks seem to think 4,500 lbs is available when you pull even just a foot of cable out of the winch (which is obviously not the case).

There is a lot of good documentation here as well:

http://www.superwinch.com/content/Choose+The+Right+Winch.content_detail/4377.0.1.1?content_id=4377-7789bb156f90a52a1db1048c362014d6

Anyway - good discussion and thanks for sharing your thoughts. There is a lot more to winching than many folks tend to think. I've tried to incorporate that knowledge into our designs and our disclosures.

:D

Anyway, thanks again for the conversation. Let me know if there is anything else that comes to mind.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I know its been a while since I've posted in this forum.  I try to stay true to customer base and not try to pretend like I have something to offer everyone.  At this time, the oldest vehicle we've confirmed a fit on is a 1999 Legacy/Outback.  Some of our products might fit older Subarus but regardless we are constantly looking for opportunities to work on any Subaru.  We hope to resume work on an 81 Brat later this year.

In the meantime, I leave the links below should people find themselve interested in learning more about what I'm doing and/or shuold you have stumbled across this post looking for something similar to what we're working on and offering.

Thank you.

Product Information:
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/product-list.cfm

Photos:
https://www.facebook.com/GorillaOffroad/photos_albums

Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/faqs.cfm

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the posts guys. I'd love to get my hands on a Brat (any Subaru really) to get something fit. I'll ask around and see what might turn up. Would you guys (Brat owners) be interested in a bumper replacement with an integrated winch mount or just and outright bolt on bar?

bumper replacement? How about hell yes!!!

I would send you money in advance.....

buck

Edited by buckkiller

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

We've been pretty busy getting more and more vehicles fit for our Offroad Bar - the latest is the XV Crosstrek.

All fitments available on each of of quarterly builds - our year-end one is almost ready to begin but there is time for you to jump in if you like:

http://www.gorillaoffroadcompany.com/_ads/build-2014Q4.htm

Here are a couple pics of the XV:

10708559_656715614448697_304277352149966

10679547_656715404448718_164579965723526

10539184_656716101115315_888381859008694

10682362_660533387400253_745036284939881

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...