Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to clean this...

Should I buy more than one bottle, and do they sell it at walmart?

One bottle should do. I have no idea what Walmart sells - I refuse to shop there.

And Is there any thing that I should keep dry?

Distributor - but you can dry it out with WD-40 after the fact. I don't bother covering anything. I avoid spraying directly at the alternator. Don't want to saturate the windings. But other than that it's never been an issue outside of the occasional wet disty.

GD

remove the alternator before proceeding is the must.

then careful at the sensors.

I wouldn't ever power wash a engine if i owned the car. EVER>

\EVER

EVER

EVER

EVER.

it kills too many sensors, especially on the new gen stuff.

you will be okay if you take out the alternator first i guess.

Do you even realize your battery is not hooked up to the post connectors in the top pic?

Do you know that buying a battery bolt down tie down kit is more beneficial than having a cleaner looking engine?

Do you know that when you hit bumps the battery can short out and cause a under hood fire when not bolted down?

Youyr battery is explosive as is. it has acid in it. ok, then you dont have it strapped down. HELLO

then it has positive and negative terminal that when you hit bump the positive could hit the hood and short out everything leaving you stranded in a fire ball. YOU are an idiot for not having it strapped down. please correct this, and be done.

enuf.

Edited by bheinen74

I go about using engine brite and or simple green, and regular hose when i am washing the car. I will take the time to use a rag and a bucket of soapy water to handwash the framerails, firewall, and strut towers.

I leave the engine run when doing the final rinse until it dries. It's not the water that will harm the electronics, but the high pressure from a wand will get in places water wont by itself.

I go about using engine brite and or simple green, and regular hose when i am washing the car. I will take the time to use a rag and a bucket of soapy water to handwash the framerails, firewall, and strut towers.

I leave the engine run when doing the final rinse until it dries. It's not the water that will harm the electronics, but the high pressure from a wand will get in places water wont by itself.

I second this, I have a wash mitt that is dedicated for this and wheel wells usually an old wheel wash mitt.

I must be ocd or something... three wash mitts.

I only do a pressure wash/steam clean if I am pulling the engine.

my.02

Ben

remove the alternator before proceeding is the must.

then careful at the sensors.

I wouldn't ever power wash a engine if i owned the car. EVER>

\EVER

EVER

EVER

EVER.

it kills too many sensors, especially on the new gen stuff.

you will be okay if you take out the alternator first i guess.

Do you even realize your battery is not hooked up to the post connectors in the top pic?

Do you know that buying a battery bolt down tie down kit is more beneficial than having a cleaner looking engine?

Do you know that when you hit bumps the battery can short out and cause a under hood fire when not bolted down?

Youyr battery is explosive as is. it has acid in it. ok, then you dont have it strapped down. HELLO

then it has positive and negative terminal that when you hit bump the positive could hit the hood and short out everything leaving you stranded in a fire ball. YOU are an idiot for not having it strapped down. please correct this, and be done.

enuf.

Sounds a little extreme. A little water wont hurt an alternator. you can replace it for 5 bucks. or 20. or whatever you want to pay for one:dead:

I steam clean engine bays day in and day out. I dry them with compressed air and run them (if possible) till the radiator stops steaming. I've never had a single problem from this practice.

When i worked industrial machinery and rebuilt 480v+ electric motors on a daily basis they got the same treatment. 2500 psi near boiling water and soap. We meg-ohmed the windings and sometimes had to leave a fan on them overnight. But otherwise they were just fine. This was SOP on high voltage electric devices. The key is properly drying them. Don't let people scare you. If you do it right its not a problem.

GD

You know...I've never had that happen... Not once. And I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles with my battery in it's non-full upright seat-belted position.

I've had tools short the battery out before...an errant wrench, an extension, whatever may have you. You know what happened? There was a spark. No fire, no explosion, no massively overwhelming dire situation of any kind really...

Mind you, I'm not trying to negate the fact that there is a *chance* (albeit slight) that the gasses in the battery can build up around said battery and be ignited by such a spark. In which case, yes, there would be a big explosion and it would not be fun.

However, that is not to say I will negate the fact that an engine can separate from a passing jet, and fall into my house.

Both of these things are possible, but really, would you consider it a likely enough scenario to call somebody an idiot for not having their battery fastened properly? Give it a rest.

enuf.

Yeah I know that the battery is not connected, I disconnected it for storage and I have already ordered battery tie downs.

I too, have powerwashed many engines (like at the car wash) with no problems. I just try not to spray DIRECTLY onto electrical components. You should be fine, and yes Wal-Mart sells Simple Green concentrate - you can dilute it down to whatever you think strength is called for.