Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Facelift Legacy 2.5l Sohc Or Dohc

I'm planning on trading in my 1998 2.5 4CAM Legacy after losing a third head gasket.

Despite this I still love the car and want to change to the 1999- facelift legacy.

Can anyone confirm that the facelift model coincided exactly with the new SOHC engine (hopefully without the head gasket problems), or are some of the facelift models still powered by the 4cam?

Cheers.

I have a 99 and it looks like a 96 to 98 model. It has a DOHC motor. The engine block is the new version, but the heads and gasket problems are the same as your model. In 99, Forrester and Imprezza got SOHC engine with old styling. In 2000 the Legacy changed styling and engine type.

It could really go one way or the other, simply based on the fact some models were built with the new engine here that model year. Legacy models here are built in USA, don't know about the other two, but that could constitute the difference. It's easy to tell on one specific vehicle by lifting hood and checking out the engine. The DOHC has very blocky valve covers with spark plugs exactly centered in the face of the cover pointing straight out to the side. The DOHC timing belt cover is shaped a bit like a bowtie with two diples in the plastic where it covers the two sprockets on each head. The SOHC valve cover is a bit more rounded with spark plugs located very near the top and angled upward a bit. The SOHC timing belt cover is nearly rectangular in shape with no room at the ends for the pair of sprockets in evidence on your engine.