Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New from Oregon

Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a 1998 Forester with a 2.2 swap. Also has a 2.5" puck lift. It needs some work to make it 100% but that's where the fun in having a car is.

I enjoy offroading and just cruising.

Thanks,

Garrett

Pics within an hour...

The 2.2L with cold air intake.

20120206_235958.jpg

That's actually a short ram, or "hot air intake" as it sucks in all the hot under hood air. If I were you, I'd find a stock intake box and bolt it back in. Then modify the "snorkus" (google for different ways to do it) to allow the intake to breathe nice cool inner fender air.

Though, if you plan to wheel in the mud and such, just leave the snorkus alone. Keeps a lot of crud out of the intake.

That's actually a short ram, or "hot air intake" as it sucks in all the hot under hood air. If I were you, I'd find a stock intake box and bolt it back in. Then modify the "snorkus" (google for different ways to do it) to allow the intake to breathe nice cool inner fender air.

Though, if you plan to wheel in the mud and such, just leave the snorkus alone. Keeps a lot of crud out of the intake.

We just realized that. Probably going to get a CAI and put it in its place.

That has the stupid dodge neon coil pack conversion and it wasn't even done using the right plug wires. Are those 25D plug wires I'm seeing sticking out of the 22E heads?!? Really scary and stupid. Someone was :drunk: when they did that engine swap.

That 2.2 has no EGR - what did they do about the CEL that you will inevitably get....? all the 25D cars have EGR and you will get a CEL if you don't equip the 2.2 with it. Can't pass emissions that way.

And yeah - the hot air intake is a huge FTL.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

That has the stupid dodge neon coil pack conversion and it wasn't even done using the right plug wires. Really scary and stupid. :drunk:

And yeah - the hot air intake is a huge FTL.

GD

Yupp. I noticed that last night when they brought it over. We're still in mystery about what EJ22 this has in it... but we are going to get NGKs and a new coil pack for it.

Get this. It still has the plug wires from the EJ25D with the little handles on it... :lol: (edit, just noticed you already saw that) Itll take some work, but its not tear-down and rebuild kinda work, so hes pretty happy. It does pretty nice on mobbing grassy hills and stuff. When we come out Thursday, there is some stuff we want to point out and ask about :confused:

Maybe its registered like Ned? But theres no CEL... :dead:

Trust me - you don't want a P0400 code. And HE will have to register it out of the area if he doesn't fix the CEL from the EGR....

Two possibilities - either the guy recently reset the codes to get rid of the CEL. It can take a few days and multiple drive cycles to pull the P0400 code.... or the CEL is not working/rewired/removed.

I suppose since it's a manual they may have used the 2.2 MT ECU.... that's always a possibility and should eliminate the code.

GD

I will look next time hes here. Or you can when we are there Thursday :headbang:

It runs nicely, I didnt notice any funky noises, just funky looking stuff. Axles are toast on the front but that could be from the lift. Has a small oil leak I think, has a plastic crushwasher still :-\ will have to get a metal one for it :headbang: