Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adventure Subaru - Lifted 1997 Impreza Outback (Lots of pics)

AdventureSubaru

Struts + 3/8 top spacers. No subframe spacers. Seems fine after about 3000 miles since the swap. No problems at all. EJ cars seem to be more forgiving than the EA cars on the angles.

The only way I'd go higher is I lengthen my struts from the bottom somehow to allow for a 30 inch tire. But for now I'm more focused on refining what I have. List for the future is as follows...

Alignment - Not showing any wear yet and drives perfectly straight, but I'm thinking the camber has gotta be adjusted. Thoughts???

Cut/weld/fit front push bar. (Or maybe fab one up/custom bumper)

Dual Range Swap - Make it more wheeling ready. Possibly more highway fuel efficient.

Skid plate up front. Maybe chop/weld the oil pan to tuck it in a little higher.

Exhaust work - patch a leak and again, tuck it up closer to the body.

More Stickers!

CB radio - anyone able to guide me through installation? Thrift store in Madison sells these for like $3.

Survival Kit

Weight reduction - (As available. Not going nuts.)

Found some adventure! The lady and I took a 3 day weekend to the Upper Peninsula for some backpacking in the Porcupine Mountain Wilderness Area.

Packed to go!

118_1292.jpg

As we got further north, cornfields gave way to this...

118_1303.jpg

Finally found Lake Superior

118_1335.jpg

118_1347.jpg

118_1400.jpg

Campsite for the first evening on the edge of "Lake in the Clouds"

118_1404.jpg

118_1422.jpg

had a little fun with the trails.

118_1444.jpg

118_1456.jpg

Overlooked Falls

118_1467.jpg

Trappers Falls

118_1582.jpg

Namesake of this area.

118_1593.jpg

Falls on the presque isle area.

118_1601.jpg

118_1604.jpg

The lady and I

118_1615.jpg

Evening of Day 2

118_1647.jpg

118_1666.jpg

View from the tent the next morning. Lake Superior and frost.

118_1668.jpg

Hiking out Presque Isle are day 3. We had a banquet to go to at her school that night so it was a brief day 3.

118_1673.jpg

Still had it's rewards. :brow:

118_1695.jpg

That thing looks sweet!

I have been looking for good deals on 215/75/15 tires. I'm really glad to finally see someone using that size so I can tell about what it will look like on my car when I finally get my lift put on. I have everything I need except tires. I have a nice set of 205 70 15 snow tires but I think they'll look too small once I get it lifted.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first post since I signed up for the message board. I have owned many Subarus and beat them around in the backwoods, but very recently bought an Impreza OBS due to the inspiration I found with your build thread (great pictures by the way) and others around the site. The only minor thing I may add are body spacers from a Legacy Outback, which I see you have no problems without them though. And I am also looking into a D/R transmission swap once I gather up more information on that.

I'm thinking about a dual range swap myself. Nearly got stuck during a trip to Pennsylvania over memorial day. (Mud - low range would have been nice) pics soon to come.

But yes, with just a strut/spring swap i don't think spacers are necessary. If I put about an inch more on such as a larger strut top spacers, I'd probably add the body spacers. As is, i don't want to sacrifice the ground clearance.

The only minor thing I may add are body spacers from a Legacy Outback, which I see you have no problems without them though. And I am also looking into a D/R transmission swap once I gather up more information on that.

I lifted mine using FXT struts and 1" strut top spacers, and the legacy spacers helped me. CV's don't click at full lock anymore. lowest point on my car is 8" and that's the cow bell hanging off the tow hitch haha

Our cars may look invincible, but when you get in the real deep stuff they run out of steam lol a D/R would definitely be handy and for sure in my future, probably distant future though sadly.

This thread has been an inspiration for my build, as well as a nice guide on how to get there. good job and keep doin what you're doin man

I may as well go without the spacers for now and save myself the extra work! Always good to know they are an option in case I decide to go higher (good example there from wagonryan and his FXT struts). I look forward to seeing those PA pics. As you probably found out, PA has a vast selection of old logging roads and random ATV trails.

It's inevitable that I end up getting into mud around here. Also being able to crawl over rough terrain going very slow is a major plus with the D/R. I have one in my garage from an old GL that I used to have. I don't want to steal this thread for transmission questions, but can anyone direct me to a possible solution regarding the drive-shaft that gets around having to custom fabricate a longer one. I feel dumb that I have not found a solution on my own yet. To my credit, this lazy dial-up connection inhibits me from doing as thorough of a search as I would like to do.

i hope you are right about the driveshaft. that'd be cool, i've always been told you need a custom drive shaft, or i guess you could cut a drive shaft in half, sleeve it and weld it up and hope you are as good a welder as you think you are? LOL

Hadn't heard on the driveshaft, but I think it requires some fab work.

I lived in PA most of life. Used to go wheeling my Toyota all over the coal region. We traveled out to Cameron County for some time in the mountains.

Trip pics.

Rear brake line busted in Akron Ohio on the way out. We left around 7 pm after work. Brake light came on, pedal got squishy. Had to use the e-brake to limp into a Napa Auto parts.

118_1894.jpg

My girlfriend helped me do a hasty bleed on the line since i didn't have a wrench to open the bleeder screw on the wheel cylinder. Threaded the line in finger tight and had her stomp the pedal, then thightened it down while it was still squirting. Worked like a charm!

118_1895.jpg

Whole thing cost us about 20 minutes (not including a breakfast stop at Bob Evans) And cost me a whopping...

118_1899-1.jpg

Wildlife was all over. We saw 4 bull elk, 7 deer and a bear the first evening.

118_1915.jpg

118_1919.jpg

118_1925.jpg

118_1945.jpg

As well as a few critters.

118_1978.jpg

Got out on the logging trails for some fun on the second evening.

118_2018.jpg

118_2009.jpg

118_2026.jpg

118_2042.jpg

Went through a huge T-storm on the return trip.

118_2155.jpg

Sunset over Ohio on the way home. Got home tired, but relaxed around 1 am.

118_2167.jpg

Great trip all around. Put a nice dent in the rocker panel and nearly got stuck in a muddy field. Dual range would be nice but for trail rides, the AWD does just fine. Put about 2100 miles on the car in 5 days.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

• 2 weeks later...
Heard you met up with Tom and are lifting his Legacy with my strut/spring set. We should get all 3 subes together after he's lifted and get some mud on the tires.

I haven't had a Legacy since Feb of this year. It was already lifted with Outback KYBs and Forster springs.

Bummer on the brake line, luckily you had a hand brake which worked. Mine never worked in the Legacy, I'd have more luck sticking my leg out the door lol. I think the parking brake shoes were gone.

Keaton's Legacy is pretty high, I was shocked to see the axles in an almost straight line.

I also heard there is a 6" lifted Baja running around. One of the Landcruiser dudes I hang out with knows the guy who built it. I have yet to see it.

I haven't had a Legacy since Feb of this year. It was already lifted with Outback KYBs and Forster springs.

Bummer on the brake line, luckily you had a hand brake which worked. Mine never worked in the Legacy, I'd have more luck sticking my leg out the door lol. I think the parking brake shoes were gone.

Keaton's Legacy is pretty high, I was shocked to see the axles in an almost straight line.

I also heard there is a 6" lifted Baja running around. One of the Landcruiser dudes I hang out with knows the guy who built it. I have yet to see it.

This is a "new" Tom. I sold him a set of struts/springs a few days ago. I guess he bumped into Keaton that same day and got some wisdom for lifting his 95 wagon. I think he just joined the board a few days ago. So Wisconsin will have another lifted Sube in the near future.

6 inch lifted Baja would be sweet. I keep waiting to see something crazy in Madison. Every time I go up there I see Subaru's all over the place.

LOL, how many Tom's are on this board!! That'll be cool to see another Lifter Legacy, Sedan or Wagon?

Yeah Madison does have the subies. Although I doubt any of them you be anything but stock, most of the people who own them in Mad-town as Liberals or Lesbians lol.

I actually saw a First gen coupe' coming back from Janesville sunday, how ofter do you see a 70s Subaru driving down the road eh? Some 20s dude was driving it, I should'a chased him down and see what he's up to.

YA I helped him throw them on today. Well i did. :P. Took about an hour for me in his driveway with my tools. And he was lookin at my CV angles also. :P.

And mines Kinda hard to miss driving down then road. :P. Now that makes umm...2 lifted subies in the Madison area. :P. And Tom's is a 95 wagon.

He says he's on here somewhere.....

• 2 months later...

Gotta update this with a few of the summers adventures. The longest of which spanned 11 days traveling from Wisconsin to northern Pennsylvania, to Niagara Falls New York, To Ontario Canada and back again to Wisconsin. About 2000 miles round trip. The car performed without so much as a hiccup. I missed the working air conditioning from last year a few times though. Here's the trip in a nutshell.

118_2231.jpg

Packed, loaded and ready to depart.

118_2424.jpg

700 miles later, had a beast of a bonfire at the family cabin in PA. Burned up some branches down from the old willow tree in the back yard.

118_2431.jpg

118_2432.jpg

Picked some huckleberries (wild blueberries) on the mountain tops. Made great muffins.

118_2435.jpg

Even though I live in the midwest these days, I still feel that this is a mountain car.

118_2443.jpg

SCORE! Best PA has to offer!

118_2477.jpg

Niagara falls! This was Kira's birthday gift to me. She bought us passes on Maid of the Mist.

118_2463.jpg

118_2462-1.jpg

118_2481.jpg

It was a little damp and breezy to say the least.

118_2512.jpg

Friendly's provided some tasty treats that evening as we headed east through rural NY.

118_2510.jpg

Climbing ever higher.

118_2517.jpg

118_2521.jpg

Slept in the car in Oswego. Arrived in Canada the next morning.

118_2579.jpg

118_2578.jpg

Did a bunch of fishing over the next week. Kira out-fished me of course.

391181_10151159711647448_1910235783_n.jpg

Got engaged! Proposed on a remote island with the help of my brother and sisters. Surprised her with a banquet dinner in the middle of nowhere.

559174_10151159749372448_1912468337_n.jpg

484399_10151159740487448_351474253_n-1.jpg

It was in all ways a fantastic trip and a much needed break after a very busy season of work. More to come.

• 2 months later...

The latest as autumn is winding down. Got a few Pennsylvania trips under my belt with great results!

GOT MARRIED!!!

153Argot.jpg

320Argot.jpg

393Argot.jpg

Kira and I said our vows on an island in the middle of the river that flows by our cabin in the Pennsylvania Wilds. The weather broke just before the ceremony began and the sun came out for most of the afternoon. Clear starry night by evening.

532573_538735259987_260608560_n.jpg

PA elk herd has been doing well.

255005_538736297907_1665016541_n.jpg

Back for deer season. We had to burn the wood that had been used as the walkway to get to island.

532411_538736347807_672937185_n.jpg

73087_538736248007_984160891_n.jpg

Part of deer camp tradition is cutting firewood the sunday before the season opener.

IMG_2822-1.jpg

And what hauls firewood from an island back to your yard with ease? A lifted Subaru!

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

Opening day I shot a 6 point buck around mid morning. Our freezer is now stocked with venison roasts, steaks and chops. Kira can make a mean venison stew too.

484335_10151271639845970_1145370414_n.jpg

This was an extra special hunt because I harvested this deer using a home custom built single shot Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 shooting a 7.62x54R bullet. The gun was purchased for a whopping $100. That rifle stock was carved by me using a $6. poplar board from Home Depot. The Scope mount was something I welded up in the shop and I had to modify the bolt on the action to clear it. A lot of work went into that rifle. My brother and I sighted it in at about 120 yards. It will continue to be refined but this buck was some very real "fruit" of my labor as I have an effective hunting rifle built from a WW2 antique.

IMG_2855.jpg

Day 2: It snowed overnight. Which makes seeing deer easier and tacking more reliable should you pull the trigger.

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

That afternoon, my little brother shot this nice 9 point on the same mountain. I hiked in and helped him drag it out.

IMG_2899.jpg

Officially one-upped by my bro and couldn't be happier!

IMG_2908.jpg

Another guy in our group found this pair of elk sheds while hunting some of the lowlands. My brother is 6 foot tall to give you some perspective. PA elk are huge!

IMG_2910.jpg

Heading home back to the flatlands.

IMG_2911.jpg

Snappy's Coffee to stay awake for the 12 hour trek. Second only to Sheetz!

Edited by AdventureSubaru