Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cams Seals pushed out of block?

93 legacy

So last summer driving home from work, i go over a 9% precent grade. On the was home its down hill for about 9 miles, started smelling burning oil, pulled over checked oil it was nearly empty so towed it home The passenger side cam seal was completely pushed out of the block. So i replaced it and the other side, with new dealer cam seals.

Now 6 months later same deal on the long down hill run, but this time the left side. So i think i have to much crank case pressure. I was told it could be the pcv, is that possible? If so where is it located?

Also after this long down hill run, i get back on the road, and for about 1 mile it puffs large amounts of blue smoke, witch i believe is valve stem seals, as it never does it other then after the the long down hill coast, both my subarus do this. My ea 81 for about a half mile as the 2.2 does it longer. I can prevent it by coasting in neutral down the hill but that puts alot of strain on my brakes.

So does this mean when coasting down hill, there is more back pressure on the motor, making crank case pressure increase?

Edited by coolskaterkid

When decelerating down hill the engine is pulling high vacuum for a long period of time and it sucks oil past the stem seals and past the pistons rings. Not gonna hurt anything. Just a typical trait of an older engine. If it starts smoking when driving normally, you drive it until it starts to foul the spark plugs, then replace the plugs and keep driving. :-p

You do need to address the cam seal issue though.

Coat the outer lip of the seal with anaerobic sealer before installing in the block to help hold it in place.

Also be sure to check the Y fitting in the PCV hose that comes out of the block. Make sure it's not plugged up. And check the breather hoses that come from the valve covers for blockage.

Thanks i will check all the blow by hoses for blockage. Funny thing i have gotten two notices that my registration was going to be suspended, if i didnt get a smog check, because someone reporting me to smoking vehicles, but i go into the ca smog check and i pass with average numbers, the smog guy just says they must have reported the wrong vehicle, oh well good old subi

Thanks i will check all the blow by hoses for blockage. Funny thing i have gotten two notices that my registration was going to be suspended, if i didnt get a smog check, because someone reporting me to smoking vehicles, but i go into the ca smog check and i pass with average numbers, the smog guy just says they must have reported the wrong vehicle, oh well good old subi

I think someone is jealous of your sube!

i had a dodge mini van that would smoke at start up. i was told it was the valve guides, oil leaking down into the cylinders after i turned the car off. i don't really know. i put 40 wt. oil in it and that helped a lot with the smoking.

what would make an ej engine smoke at start up, and still be able to pass an emissions tests?