Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Struts

geggle

Okay, here's what I did. I have a 97 legacy wagon. It was too flippin' low (hard to get in and out) I put a used set of 97 Outback struts on it about 2 years ago. Raised it about 1.5 inches. Everything was workable. Now I've noticed a noticeable "Harshness" in the driver side rear strut (thumps hard even over moderate holes). Bounce test reveals that the passenger side rear is "much" easier to compress down than the drivers side. The drivers side is very stiff. Anyone got a suggestion? I've never seen a shock/strut get stiffer when it goes bad, but I don't know that much about them either

I have done this swap. The strut actually has more travel then the original spring itself. You will want to get the proper outback spring to go with the strut, or put some sort of spacer between the spring and the perch.

I was able to put mine together without compressing the spring.

hopefully you can find some pull-off forester or outback springs, or complete struts with spring and tophat.

as far as the stiff strut, maybe the rod is slightly bent?