Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

This is a good option, I may see about this over POR15 again, as the POR doesn't seem to be holding up all that well, perhaps it was the prep, but I thought I did a fine job on prep work.

If I buy the Chassis paint, I will post my results after using it.

dont bother with Por-15. Way too much fuss.

Check out Monstaliner's chassis paint.

http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_how_to_stop_rust.htm

Por-15 is not supposed to be exposed to sunlight if I remember correctly. Possibly part of the problem.

Correct, they offer a Topcoat if it is being applied to an UV exposed area. But the issue I see is under the vehicle, kinda peals off. Rust-oleum Bedliner is hard as a rock and does not peal off, perhaps a better product for some apps.

Interesting Sale thread for an '84 Ski wagon.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119085&page=3

Edited by TheLoyale

I was looking at engine specs on Wiki, EA71 vs. EA81 - The only different between the two motors (At least Wiki says) is the EA71 has a Stroke of 60mm where as the EA81 has 67mm stroke, both share the same Bore (92mm)

Also the Compression ratio dropped in the EA81 to 8.7:1 from the 9.0:1 of the EA71.

Is this info correct?

The other thing I am looking for is the proper Alt bracket for a Non AC EA81. Mine had Dealer installed AC which I removed, I now want to move the Alt inboard more and shorten the belt.

Anybody?

Send a PM to lyter1983

I just purchased a motor from him, and in order to get the thing light enough for UPS ground, he stripped it a bit for me.

Alt bracket included.

More progress.

Rear Cargo flooring/Subframe - Before.

Weldchlng002.jpg

Weldchlng003.jpg

After, I removed all rust with a wire wheel and grinding disc, I then applied two coats of Hard Bedliner to the floor, after drying, I applied Heavy Duty Ruberized Undercoating to finish it off.

Weldchlng014.jpg

Weldchlng017.jpg

Weldchlng016.jpg

Here is my first patch on the floor, Very solid and no burn throughs. 16ga steal.

Weldchlng005.jpg

I then covered the other round holes.

Weldchlng008.jpg

After that, I cut out of rust hole and then started welding in a new patch when I ran out of Wire! Damn, need to buy some more Fluxcore Friday.

Weldchlng012.jpg

As you can see, only a few spot welds until I get more wire.

Weldchlng013.jpg

Another day ends...

Weldchlng021.jpg

Lol at the last pic. Looking good. The rust in this one really isn't that bad. Keep up the good work. The driver's side front floor pan is always the worst I usually start there now to get it out of the way :rolleyes: Can't wait to see the new rockers go on this!

Two in the Poot one in the Toot? :popcorn:

Yeah, the Driverside footwell isn't pretty, but it isn't rotted rotted yet. I'm gonna have to cut up pretty high due to surface rust, and trying to weld scared metal is hard, burns too too easy. But, I think I can do it (I have so far)

I am looking forward to the rockers too, trying to make it all work like it did from the factory should be interesting, since I don't have much for reference (except for the complete rust free versions)

Speaking of which, I should ask when dude can ship everything out :)