Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Looking good Boss!

I got your hood latch today, it was free. it seems to work, but needs to be greased up. The down side is one of the bolts snapped off in the latch, if you still want it, I can figure out what shipping is and it's yours. No luck on the cable and handle, they were busted.

Damn straight! Its coming, whether the Neighbors want it to or not ;)

Yeah I'll take you up on the hood latch, might as well have an extra, the main part I needed was indeed the cable and handle, but oh well.

PM me when you want to ship it out,

cheers!

ill get everything ready to ship out by wednsday. slow down man, sheesh. lol

Right on man :)

The welds are good I think, nice penetration and no holes, and its solid. The spot welds in the center of the sheet are for more rigidity (And yes, it does help) The floor is as solid as it was originally.

Is the chrome crash bar in from of the EA81 worth anything? The chrome part looks nice as I polished it, the black part could use a repaint.

Was gauging selling it.

You should keep it as it is part of the front vlence strucure. You will want it for the skidplate to bolt onto. Usually, they get bent, so it may be a good seller, but i would keep it if i were you.

I think i have seen one on an ea82. Maybe i might want it on my 3door if it will work.

The front valance/rad support is rotted and crumbling. The skid plate bolts to that (Like an EA82) The crashbar bolts to the underside of the bumper, it doesn't offer any support to the Valance.

Just testing the waters, figured I should see if I can make some money back on this car. Perhaps just strip it, sell off the goods and junk the shell.

For further reference Rockauto lists two clutch kits, one for 4WD and one for 2WD. The clutch disc I need for a 4WD measures Disc Spec: 8-7/8" OD X 7/8" ID X 21T Correct?

2WD apps uses an 1" smaller disc?

Disc Spec: 7-7/8" OD X 7/8" ID X 21T

8-7/8" is correct.

As for the bad radiator support,

I have one here I cut out of an '86 BRAT.

Would have to get it out of the rafters to give it another look, but pretty sure it was in good shape.

I also have the hood from said BRAT.

I'll see if I can borrow a camera, get some pics of them.

Not really... Just have what good I could keep from 2 rusted out BRAT's.

1 rusted out XT6, and 1 parts XT6.

Plus some other goodies I've picked up.

Oh!!

In my rumaging around out in the garage today, I found a good hood release cable.

Not really... Just have what good I could keep from 2 rusted out BRAT's.

1 rusted out XT6, and 1 parts XT6.

Plus some other goodies I've picked up.

Oh!!

In my rumaging around out in the garage today, I found a good hood release cable.

I will take that Cable! Does it come with handle? I will also take your good hood latch assy and I would be interested in that core support once I get to that point.

PM me if you'd like.

So, some more goodness today. I remove the rear diff and axles, I basically took the CVJs apart since the cups won't budge from the stubs. The boots are still nice, but need new clamps. I am also repacking the axle cups with Kendall Blu-Ball grease.

2012_0318AC.jpg

3.900 Diff

2012_0318AD.jpg

2012_0318AE.jpg

Axle Balls and Race.

2012_0318AF.jpg

Replacing the wheel bearing will be much easier now, since the axle is removed.

2012_0318AG.jpg

2012_0318AH.jpg

High-Solids based Enamel (Real thick)

2012_0318AI.jpg

2012_0318AL.jpg

More floor work.

2012_0318AJ.jpg

2012_0318AK.jpg

I then removed the diff cover for inspection. Oil was clean as were the internal gears. Oil looked like honey! Clean.

2012_0318AX.jpg

2012_0318AY.jpg

Going to repaint the Diff cover.

2012_0318BA.jpg

2012_0318BE.jpg

2012_0318BF.jpg

2012_0318BH.jpg

2012_0318BJ.jpg

2012_0318BK.jpg

2012_0318BM.jpg

2012_0318BL.jpg

Indeed. I think I have the 3 vehicles I will have for the rest of my life lol!

Ah yes, the pains of living in the midwest when it comes to take axles out of the rear diff.

Takes us hours, something a West Coaster could do in 4 minutes.

You will have that thing nearly rebuilt from bottom up soon.

I now had a very beat pin socket, thanks to xbeerd. This is the same socket Clint and I beat on while doing wheel bearings on Monster. Now heres hoping that the bearing retaining ring comes off with moderate difficulty.

Mick, I might take you up on that carpet :)