Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Well, I tried welding a nut onto the stud, but for some reason I didn't get enough penetration into the stud. Are these bolts weldable?

I was also thinking in cutting a slit/notch into the stud and use a plain screwdriver and see if I can remove it that way.

I really don't want to drill it out and try to tap it, Where can I get a good reverse extractor?

Well, I tried welding a nut onto the stud, but for some reason I didn't get enough penetration into the stud. Are these bolts weldable?

I was also thinking in cutting a slit/notch into the stud and use a plain screwdriver and see if I can remove it that way.

I really don't want to drill it out and try to tap it, Where can I get a good reverse extractor?

weld a washer onto the stud then place a larger nut over the stud and weld the nut to the washer. that's how my exhaust guy pulls busted off exhaust studs...

and sometimes, a reverse drill bit will work the same as an extractor as it's cutting into the metal...

I think my extractors are craftsman brand. I used one the other day for an oil pump bolt...

Well, I used an Irwin extractor and was an epic fail. It pretty much did what I thought it would have, just kinda chewed it and now the hole in the stud is now off to one side (The stud cracked somewhat on the thin side) So I now messed up the threads I'm sure.

So what is now my next option? Getting moderately frustrated because it was such a simple task and part. :rolleyes::-\

Edited by TheLoyale

Will an '82 Hatch have the Hitachi intake? I am looking at one in Wadsworth, IL, and the pickn'pull would only charge me $22.99 for the intake! Figured I would pick up a spare either way.

I forgot to look at the carb last time I was there.

Will an '82 Hatch have the Hitachi intake? I am looking at one in Wadsworth, IL, and the pickn'pull would only charge me $22.99 for the intake! Figured I would pick up a spare either way.

I forgot to look at the carb last time I was there.

if it was 4wd, then I think yes, but not sure. The only C/W I've had was off a '84 2wd wagon. I had an '82 2wd wagon that was a hitachi, and all the other '82's I've had were hitachis.

I've had another '82 2wd, but it was a coupe with an AT, and it was a hitachi as well...

Got a Hitachi intake sitting here, not going to need it.

edit;

Also have an EA82 intake with Weber I ran on two different EA81 engines. I could let you talk me out of it for the right price. :)

Edited by TomRhere
added info

Whatever you do, don't use one of those reverse extractor things. They rarely work. If they do work, something else would have also worked. Like left hand drill bits.

Most of the time if they don't make a huge mess of the stud, go off to one side, and ruin the threads. They'll just break off. Then you have a really big mess.

Well this problem is pretty much solved. Tom is gonna send me a good EA81 manifold. This helps me immensely, as I don't have to rush down to IL and pull the intake before the yard scraps the car, seeing as I only have about $12 right now Haha.

Tom, thank you big time! :drunk:

Well this problem is pretty much solved. Tom is gonna send me a good EA81 manifold. This helps me immensely, as I don't have to rush down to IL and pull the intake before the yard scraps the car, seeing as I only have about $12 right now Haha.

Tom, thank you big time! :drunk:

you need to soak the snot out of the intake manifold bolts and go really slow or you'll be going through the same thing with a busted bolt into the heads....

you need to soak the snot out of the intake manifold bolts and go really slow or you'll be going through the same thing with a busted bolt into the heads....

100% gotcha on this! I am already soaking them and will continue to all week. I actually went pretty slow and took precaution with the Thermostat cover too, but I don't think it could have been helped (Lesson learned)

I was gonna replace the Intake gaskets anyway, so I guess this gives me an excuse to do so. I am also going to clean up and repaint the new intake, might as well since its off.

I've never had an issue taking intake bolts (Any bolts) off the EA82 or EJs, why do the EA81s have such issues? 9 years really can't make a difference.

100% gotcha on this! I am already soaking them and will continue to all week. I actually went pretty slow and took precaution with the Thermostat cover too, but I don't think it could have been helped (Lesson learned)

I was gonna replace the Intake gaskets anyway, so I guess this gives me an excuse to do so. I am also going to clean up and repaint the new intake, might as well since its off.

I've never had an issue taking intake bolts (Any bolts) off the EA82 or EJs, why do the EA81s have such issues? 9 years really can't make a difference.

the ones that have been the sketchiest for me, where ones where the gaskets had seeped coolant into the bolt area, and dried, creating the sort of heat fused crust in the threads...

whenever I put the bolts back in, I always wire wheel them shiny and anti-seize them... and new good intake manifold gaskets...

Maybe I'll get lucky and won't have that crusty build up on mine, but either way, I am SOAKING them!

I always clean the threads and anti-seize bolts (I use motor oil for Head bolts)

Am I crazy for selling a runing/driving '95 Outback with a swapped working 4EAT, to buy this car...?

Here is the stub, before and after I used the Extractor bit.

2012_0503AA.jpg

2012_0503AB.jpg

2012_0504AA.jpg

2012_0504AB.jpg

the ones that have been the sketchiest for me, where ones where the gaskets had seeped coolant into the bolt area, and dried, creating the sort of heat fused crust in the threads...

whenever I put the bolts back in, I always wire wheel them shiny and anti-seize them... and new good intake manifold gaskets...

Is Heli-Coil an option as well? I've never done it.

Here is a kit for M8x1.25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Piece-Helicoil-Thread-Repair-Kit-M8-x-1-25mm-Internal-Threads-/270968227247?hash=item3f16f705af&item=270968227247&pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&vxp=mtr#ht_1791wt_820

And these are the correct Intake gaskets, right?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=125061

Edited by TheLoyale

helicoil will do. i have done it with exhaust studs and timing belt idler pulley. I havent done one that small, but it would be done the same.

Indeed, I've seen people do them on exhaust studs as well. I might try and do this to my currant intake so I have a good spare, either for my self or someone else.

Played around with the Brat today, since I ran out of fluxcore wire. Changed the wheels/hubs, and am planning on making a rear tire carrier and bed rack. I also shorted up the rack for the roof.

2012_0505AR.jpg

2012_0505AS.jpg

2012_0505AT.jpg

2012_0505AU.jpg

2012_0505AB.jpg

2012_0505AQ.jpg

Here is what I accomplished on the rear car today!

2012_0505AJ.jpg

Better shot of how well the rockers came out!

2012_0505AM.jpg

2012_0505AN.jpg

2012_0505AO.jpg

2012_0505AP.jpg

lol where did you get that R/C brat from?

I bought it new a few years back from Towerhobbies.

I had it forsale on here yesterday, but after being low balled twice, I took it off the market, and decided to modify it like I've always wanted to do.

Edited by TheLoyale

actually have 2 of the Brat RCs - one original 1983 version, and the re-release version with the 2 different bodies. :D

Yours looks pretty darn good there, Tom - where did you get the roof basket from? Want one!! LOL