Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

The Stainless is HVAC/Commercial Kitchen grade. My neighbor doesn't use 18ga much, so he gave it to me. He uses mostly 16ga.

I am going to finish up the Pinch weld tomorrow, then Both rockers and the Floor will be finished. I can then finish coating it with Bedliner, and then install the rubber water dampers, then some sound deadening, and the rest of the interior.

Where can I buy Automotive grade sound deadening locally? I don't believe a parts house will carry this?

I wasted a pretty perfect day to finish up the welding on this buck'O rust today, but shortly ran out of wire! That would be 4 spools of .035 wire I've gone through so far. I think one more will do it ;):Flame:

I will also soon have rear disc brakes to install! And even better... I might be able to get the interior back in this next week!

I bought a M8x1.25 Heli-Coil kit at O-Really's today for $27. Comes with a Tap, The Coils and the coil insertion tool. My question is, once I chase the threads with the tap and in start screwing the Helicoil bit in, can I install two coil bits? Will the little tab on the bottom of the coil bend downward when I thread the actually bolt through? Cause they are kinda short, if I could use two, that would be awesome!

Tips and tricks would be welcome :drunk:

The little tang on the bottom just snaps off, it is scored to do so. You can use two without any problem.

Awesome! Thats what I was hoping for. I never knew what Heli-coil was, up until a few months ago, it sure is a nice way to fix stuff. At least we'll see with my situation :burnout:

Awesome effort there TheLoyale!

If this was in oz, A) it'd seem a little out of place with those retro decals and B) I doubt anyone would put this amount of time into it.

I'm surprised how well the interior's held up, and in blue is different. I also like the instrument cluster, I've never seen one like that before :D

Great to see all the work you've put in it so far, I can't wait to see the end result.

Respray and fresh decals in the list of things to do as well?

Something inside me wishes you kept it all original for preservation reasons, but I realise that this isn't always possible, plus it's not mine to do this with anyway, I guess that's just me though ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie, Thank you very much! The work is something I guess you have to enjoy, this is my first go about with something this intensive, outstandingly, its fairly easy to do.

I bet if this car was down by you, it would not have the ammout of rust as it did. Indeed I am planning to repaint the whole car factory porcelain white, and have the vinyls remade.

You EA82 turned out great, you really dug into it was well. Wish I could turn over my car to work on it :)

Cheers,

-Tom

any car audio shop will have plenty of sound deadening stuff, probably Dynamat or similar.

in milwaukee i can only think of Auto Sound and Effects or Alarmtronics, BestBuy used to have it too, but that was back in the mid 90's im sure they still might carry it.

I want some flipping Sound deadener, right phucking now...! :-p I dunno why it costs so much, OMG. Fiberglass rafter insulation is cheaper and you get more of it! How does that stuff take to the 180* heat inside a car?

Anyway, Finally! NO MORE WELDING! I am done! I was getting very tired of welding. I started with some body filler on the ground down welds, gotta get some sand paper and finish up, then shoot it with some white paint for the time being.

2012_0527AD.jpg

2012_0527AE.jpg

2012_0527AF.jpg

2012_0527AG.jpg

Some body filler.

2012_0527AB.jpg

M8x1.25 Helicoil kit. Now I need to by a drill bit 21/32 or whatever it said on the package.

2012_0527AA.jpg

Helicoil finished. That was almost too easy, Took me only 15min to drill it, tap it and install the coil (Taking my time as to not make mistakes) Everything threads in, and I will see how it torques down once I get some Stainless M8x1.25 x80

How long are the 4 longest intake bolts in MM? I want to say JesZek used 80mm long bolts in his EA82 intake, but does this also apply to the EA81?

Also, what is the MM length of the 2 shortest intake bolts?

I am looking at ebay, and need to know before I order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Metric-Hex-Bolts-M8-x-1-25-x-60-Qty-5-/251069791694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74ecfdce#ht_680wt_702

How long are the 4 longest intake bolts in MM? I want to say JesZek used 80mm long bolts in his EA82 intake, but does this also apply to the EA81?

Also, what is the MM length of the 2 shortest intake bolts?

I am looking at ebay, and need to know before I order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Metric-Hex-Bolts-M8-x-1-25-x-60-Qty-5-/251069791694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a74ecfdce#ht_680wt_702

can't you measure the ones you took out?

I'm not worried about it right now, I need money for a carb and sh*t. Insolation is the least of my issues. lol

Finish up the bondo, and painted the driver side rocker today, No need to take these doors off again!

2012_0528AD.jpg

2012_0528AC.jpg

2012_0528AQ.jpg

Did the Helicoil for the intake bolt, took all of 15min just taking my time and doing it perfect. Was really easy! I was shocked.

2012_0528AA.jpg

Not in MM. I can measure them with a tape measure, but then I have to convert that to MM.

Perhaps Fastenal will have more for Metric Stainless (In-stock)

Wait, you actually think this is hard?Length in Inches x25.4=Length in mm

Wait, you actually think this is hard?Length in Inches x25.4=Length in mm

So 2" X 25.4 = 51mm? That is helpful, Thank you. :drunk: Being a Gradeschool dropout, I'm not a big fan of Math formulas, everything I've learned, I taught my self. ;)

Edited by TheLoyale

I really need to do the rockers and take car of any floor issues in my wagon. I wish I were as motivated as you sir. It's looking great!

My motivation comes from having no life, go to work, come home. lol... :drunk:

You will totally want to check your floor out, parts of mine, looked ok, until you used a wire wheel, then it was swiss cheese. Cut it all out, and replaced with Stainless!

I went to Fastenal today, I managed to get the short 60mm bolts for the intake, in stainless. They have the longer 80mm bolts on order, and will have them next week.