Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

• Please log in to reply
1736 replies to this topic

#226 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

TundraWagon :cool:
For short. :lol:

+10 :D

:popcorn: watching this one and waiting for the awesome results.

#227 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

So glad that someone on here bought this car. I kept coming back to it on Craigslist and cringing at the thought of this going to the crusher.

#228 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I finally got this thing in the air via Jackstands, This car is solid in all the spots that are normally rotted. The Uniframes are solid (Except for the driver side, right where I usually put a jackstand is gone. The section that comes out towards the door (Like a T shape) So I'm gonna have to rebuild that.

Fox, you remember that section on your 3-Door which you rebuilt with layers.

I am also going to have to redo all hard lines under the car (Hoping I can get away with just replacing the fuel lines at the moment (So I could at least drive this thing around more!

The rear wheel wells are solid, so this car isn't too bad. Just gonna take soem welding :slobber:

#229 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,032 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

That part has been rusted out on everyone of the BRAT's I had here.

#230 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

So these are my findings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pass. Side Sub-frame.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Driver Side Sub-Frame
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Driver side Rear Trailing Arm
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pass. Side
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#231 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Took that window decal off without damaging the Defrost.

Posted Image

Got the new Rockers from Mill Supply, they are indeed EA82. BUT they are complete, with rear pinch weld and front Cab corner.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#232 Mechanical_misfit

Mechanical_misfit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 430 posts
  • Muskegon, MI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

That definitely looks like something worth fixing. When I was still working at the body shop, I had fixed many Monte Carlos and Cutlasses of the same vintage with way more rot. Same goes for the 89-98 full size GM trucks, way rustier, parts are easier to get for those though.

It's very good to see this thing being saved. I'm sure there would be more of these in the mid west, in this shape, but it seems like once they started falling out of the "late model" catagory, teenagers and highschool kids got a hold of them and beat what was left into the ground. I know I did :rolleyes:

#233 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

I cleaned up the Stainless wheel caps with Nevr-Dull Wadding Polish, wow, they look showroom! I really like the Blue centers on these caps.

#234 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,979 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

I like the wagon wheels, but those are pretty rusted up. Might need to visit the guy who did your pugs.

#235 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I like the wagon wheels, but those are pretty rusted up. Might need to visit the guy who did your pugs.

Might need to swap to pugs... ;)

#236 shortysayhi

shortysayhi

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Conifer (outside denver)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Are you swapping steering wheels with the one you bought from me?

#237 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Are you swapping steering wheels with the one you bought from me?

No, I had planned to use that Steering wheel on that '87 GL. But I think I might swap it with my Loyale (Add that extra bit of goodness to it!)

The Steering wheel you sent me is in really nice shape. Thank you!

#238 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

IF you will be keepng the ea82 rocker panels for a while, i may want them for my 3door. I just have to get my budget in line, make my move 2 houses down, and bank my money a little.

#239 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'll most likely have them, I don't plan on shipping them as the 5ft x 6" box weighs about 15lbs.

Although, if someone has 14" or 15" Alloy Pugs, I would trade straight up and pay for shipping.

Edited by TheLoyale, 01 March 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#240 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Get this,

The Dealer gave me the wrong cap and rotor for my EA81. The Rotor was super tall and did not fit on the disty shaft and the Cap did not have the little square prong which ensures the cap can not be put on incorrectly. These were both NOS Subaru parts, and these were the only part numbers Wild Subarus parts system pulled up. WTF?

I returned them and went to Parts Hut, The cap looks correct and the Rotor has a short base, I will have them tomorrow morning. Heres hoping.

#241 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Get this,

The Dealer gave me the wrong cap and rotor for my EA81. The Rotor was super tall and did not fit on the disty shaft and the Cap did not have the little square prong which ensures the cap can not be put on incorrectly. These were both NOS Subaru parts, and these were the only part numbers Wild Subarus parts system pulled up. WTF?

I returned them and went to Parts Hut, The cap looks correct and the Rotor has a short base, I will have them tomorrow morning. Heres hoping.

you are going to quickly find that ordering the RIGHT parts for these older one's is getting harder and harder to do every year we tick along.
some are no longer available even with generic brands. heater core, forget it, heater valve, windshield gasket, oil pump, certain electronics, nothing. all sheetmetal repair. The EA81 is just too old and nobody kept them to have a demand for parts big enough for them to produce parts.

#242 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

What the Hell is this thing? Looks to new for an '83 Subaru. Is this an ECU?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What is this 3 Amp fuse for? There is also a relay above that (Which is not screwed down (Should be)
Posted Image

#243 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think that is cruise control box.

The ECU looks different and is not tucked away in that spot, although close. Only the feedback and CA cars had ECU. Your car likely has no ECU.

#244 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Ah, cruise. I forgot this has Cruise! Funny, they can put power windows, and cruise control in this, but no power locks! WTF? :cool:

Are we assuming the 3amp fuse is for the cruise as well?

#245 bheinen74

bheinen74

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  • central Iowa

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Looks like the car has heavy and good undercoating, that is likely what saved this EA81. Most have been rotted like 15 years ago and taken off the road at least that long ago.
Good survivor. If I had sold my Legacy SS I would have called the seller and got this before you, but instead i still have a SS.

#246 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Looks like the car has heavy and good undercoating, that is likely what saved this EA81. Most have been rotted like 15 years ago and taken off the road at least that long ago.
Good survivor. If I had sold my Legacy SS I would have called the seller and got this before you, but instead i still have a SS.

Your SS probably has much less sitting rust though. All my lines are garbage, but at least the trailing arm is still solid, its holding up the rear half of the car.

#247 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,032 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just looked at the latest pics.

That is a CC unit, but the one in my '85 was mounted on the right of the column. Was an add-on by Dealer, not Factory.

Also, your hood release handle is not there at all.... :eek:
So yeah, you'll need the whole hood release set up out to the latch.

I have 1 out of an '86 BRAT, but the plastic handle is broken.
Have 1 from an '88 XT6 that could work for you. Can talk further about it thru PM's.

Speaking of PM's... Did you get the one I sent earlier today?

#248 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Tom,

Good to know, I think mine is the factory CC? I have a little knob on the right side of the steering column (Says Cruise) Factory or Dealer?

As for the hood latch, I am probably getting a complete assy from dude in MI. I'll let you know.

As for PMs, I hadn't gotten any today.

#249 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,755 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Are Dealer installed A/C Components in demand on the USMB? I'd be willing to remove all my A/C stuff and post it for sale, as I don't want it, and would prefer to clean up the engine bay.

#250 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,032 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Honestly thinking that's a Dealer Add-on for the Cruise. Just not to pretty of an install.

Resent the PM I thought I had sent earlier.

Edited by TomRhere, 02 March 2012 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users