Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I think I cleared ACE out of Metric Stainless Bolts and Washers lol... I actually still need 3 or 4 more M8 Stainless washers to mount up my Fuel pump. I grabbed a hand full of the wrong size today (They are for M6)

:horse:

how much $$$ wa it for all those bolts? I have a good $100 in m6 bolts on my 3door

Indeed it would be, but I like to have stuff the same day if possible. Plus I reprice all the hardware I buy, as I know the guy well and I trim the price to my liking. Dude is still making more then enough money off my, I've already blown $60+ on stainless lol!

Headlights back in, with stainless bolts!

2012_0420AA.jpg

2012_0420AD.jpg

2012_0420AE.jpg

I removed the filler tube, repainted that and the tube mounting area. Stainless M4 bolts and washers.

2012_0420AF.jpg

2012_0420AG.jpg

It's nice that you could get that apart to detail it. I had to abandon this on my 3door to prevent stripping the phillips heads. At least i only broke 1 6mm bolt on the 3door. It looks like this one has not rusted the small bolys; everything is coming apart nicely

I am pretty surprised how easy this car is coming apart, I haven't really broken any bolts, except for a few 10mms and one 6mm for the fuel filler (I used drilled it out and used a nut behind it)

This car looked worse then it really was I suppose, aside from needing fuel lines, brake lines, brakes, Fuel tank, rockers ect.. Ha.

I got the fuel tank almost full hooked up, I just need a few more hose clamps and to run the rest of the line into the cabin and connect it. I already connected the Vapor line, next will be the Return and Feeder line. And then see if it starts and does not leak!

If interested, let me know exactly what you need.

I can get all Hillman fasteners at cost.:burnout:

That might be an idea. I'm not 100% sure as to everything I need, I'm just kinda swapping as I go. Pretty much any bolt that doesn't take serious load, is getting replaced with Stainless. I've always been told Stainless has a lower fatigue rating, but the Know all Hardware guy who owns our local Ace, says it is stronger then standard steel bolts.

I trust this guy, he has been in Hardware for 50+ years. My family has been going to him since the 1960s and has never steered us wrong.

So does stainless have a lower load/stress rating? There does seem to be mixed views on this. Jboymechanic told me it was weaker, yet his dad told me it was stronger, and now the Art Olson at Ace said the same. Hmmm.

So in a sense, its like Cast iron, Strong, yet brittle.

As for Fastenal, I should check that out as well! I have one just down the road from me. Some of their stuff is kinda pricey, but it does cost less once you buy in balk.

Thank you for the thought!

I have 3 engines here that are dripping oil.

1-EA81, 2 ER27's,, none of which have ran in the past 5 years.

And "they",,,, drip oil.....

'Tis apparent to me that since they once had oil leaks, they shall continue to leak oil...... Regardless.....