Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Why Eaton hasn't made a Detroit or Air locker for the R160 is boggling. Perhaps I should write to them again, and see if they'll ever support the application.

I would prefer an Air locker in the rear.

Here is a thread I found with a little discussion about this.

http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?p=14675&highlight=lockers

The R160 is still used on the 90s EJ Subarus correct? I know a diff from a Legacy will bolt up to my EA81, same case. I think there would be a large market in rear Air lockers for Subarus.

The topic is like :horse:

It's such a small market, and the people building up old subarus don't have that kind of cash.

Air lockers are about $800/pr for the Full-floating Toyota axles, so one for this tiny diff, shouldn't be as much. I agree there may not be a giant market for these.

No company ever thinks about a trend. If someone would actually supply aftermarket parts for these vehicles, they might be a larger following. Jeeps wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't for Aftermarket support, ARB being one of the larger ones.

Same goes for VW, you can get whatever you want for a original beetle, floor pans, motors, complete bodies, JCWhitney carries a lot of it lol.

WE NEED MORE AFTER MARKET FOR SUBARUS OTHER THEN STi...

The main wiring harness runs along the inside of the doorsill where the fuel/brake lines are on either side.

There is a section of it that should run along the crossbrace under the front seats going to the trans tunnel for the E-brake and such.

I believe the power window unit mounts to the two holes seen in the 2nd pic of the wiring, under the PS seat.

For the most part, the harness will lay back in by it's self, and give you an idea as to where it runs. Don't try to undo any of the bends it has in it.

I hear you on time, if I didn't have so much of it and at least minimum cash flow, I wouldn't have taken on this car. Probably still have the Legacy in all its TW glory. :D

If ya want a hand with the Rockers when I'm down there, no sweat. We'll get it done. Only takes a few hours to cut off the old, and new, and then line'em up and spot them in a few places. The EA82 rockers I have would be interesting to try and use, 1982gl4 did it though, just is more tedious (Titties and rump roast)

Jboymechanic ordered it for me from FatMat I suppose. it was $80 for 50sq.ft (Was just enough!) although I might have gone overboard with it a bit ;)

That's a good deal. I've been looking at similar stuff, and it is pretty expensive. It is good to go over board with that stuff, believe me, these cars need it.

That's a good deal. I've been looking at similar stuff, and it is pretty expensive. It is good to go over board with that stuff, believe me, these cars need it.

Yeah, Dyna-mat is like $130 I think, plus its thicker and more bulky. I think this stuff will work just right, its not the easiest thing to put in, and get it nice and uniformed, but I guess it doesn't matter since its under the carpet.

What, huh? These cars are loud eh? Guess I can't tell anymore are 6yrs. :lol: Yeah, noises like to carry in these cars, arrg. The FJ80 is like driving a cream puff it is so quiet and smooth while coasting. Its still quieter at speed then the Subarus, Full-frame, and better sound deading layout I guess. For $30,000 it better be quiet!

Only $80 for all that?! That's a good deal. Compared to DynaMat at least. Last time I checked it was a couple hundred bucks for that much DynaMat. I'd love to do the whole car with something like that though. A few years ago I read about some stuff you can buy in the roofing section of the local home improvement store that works very well for sound deadening and is like 1/10th the cost of dynamat. I forget what it was called exactly but I tracked some down and it smelled too much like tar. Probably wouldn't smell too well on the 95+ degree days in mid summer here.

Actually bought some not that long ago to patch over missing shingles on my buddies roof with. :-p

Anybody know where this Power window unit goes? This stuff has been apart so long I have forgotten, plus I didn't take any good pictures during the removal.

2012_0529AA.jpg

This black box mounts above the bonnet (hood) cable lever, it uses the same mouting bolts - at least it does in the aussie delivered subi's...

I hope this makes sense!

Cheers

Bennie

When I checked prices for FatMat versus DynaMat it was roughly 1/3 the cost. A lot of the guys over on the ForwardLook (1955 to 1961 Mopars) recommended it to me so I order it for my Imperial. I knew Tom needed some as well so I thought we could order together to save on shipping, but shipping was also free from FatMat. It is very dense and very sticky, you pretty much have one shot to get it down where you want it.

Yeah, thats no joke. One its stuck, theres pretty much no going back on position. If you end up with creases, just basically have to work them in. Seems like it should work really well!

Jon, remind me this weekend to stop by and give you your dough. Saturday would be best I guess, as Sunday I will be at Don Miller till 2pmish, then I might roll down to Janesville and help a guy out with his '95 Impreza.

I got the carpet back in, I think I have it right. And I sure hope I plug everything in correctly. Whos idea was it to use Bullet connections for a factory wiring harness, dumb! But wait! I have something that is even more dumb, I will post a picture of it later.