Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I now have a working brake switch again!! I got it out of a Loyale at the junkyard in Illinois. The plug ends are the same twin spade style, and I'm sure the whole switch is the same. They work and thats all that matters!

Still in need of Wheel arches! And I will not stop posting about them until someone says they have some or can get some, you will be well compensated for your time, ask others who have helped me. :cool:

johns in gaston oregon(subaru only junkyard:Dhe has stuff like 1400cc to the new ones but last time i went it was mostly ea82's:headbang:) would have them not sure if this is his number but 541-232-9958 if it is tell me if not ill try to get it sometime but its a pain in the rump roast how he's closed saturday and sunday:banghead:

ANYONE HAVE REAR WHEEL ARCHES!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!????????

:Flame:

i have a parts car, the arches etc are not perfect - some rust in the front part right under the door, the part behind the wheel is good,

i am unsure what is going to happen with this car but i am pretty sure its not going to be restored....

will try to get a picture this weekend and you can decide if they will work for you, make me an offer,

finding time to get it cut out may be tricky at this time of year, the car is not near the shop so would either have to tow it in to cut the panels out, or find a cordless zzz might be an excuse to buy one :clap:

Also found something else out today, You cannot come to a complete stop and then shift out of 4th. Trying to get moving again so I could shift into a higher gear was interesting. Best part, I was on a dead rump roast country road!

Also, I need a new alt. Gonna order one from O-rileys for $56 w/$20 core.

Also found something else out today, You cannot come to a complete stop and then shift out of 4th. Trying to get moving again so I could shift into a higher gear was interesting. Best part, I was on a dead rump roast country road!

Also, I need a new alt. Gonna order one from O-rileys for $56 w/$20 core.

My 82 GL did this all the time it's a pain to get it back out of gear when it locks in...

My 82 GL did this all the time it's a pain to get it back out of gear when it locks in...

not an '82 but I snapped my clutch cable and for some reason I thought I would bump start it in reverse.. lol.. not only did I have a hard time getting it out of reverse but the car was also on a slight incline going backwards and I had about 8 Ft of space before hitting some stone pillars to protect some electrical equipment.

So, TomR mentioned that this switch assembly could be the cause of my funky headlights. So I removed it and looked at the copper contacts on the rear of the circuit board and the solder points, everything "looks" fine, but how would i be able to tell if this is the problem?

2012_0805AA.jpg

In Low-beam mode.

2012_0805AB.jpg

2012_0805AC.jpg

Low-Beam mode

2012_0805AD.jpg

High-Beam Flash mode.

2012_0805AE.jpg

Low-beam.

2012_0805AG.jpg

High-beam switched to ON.

2012_0805AF.jpg

The terminals.

2012_0805AH.jpg

2012_0805AI.jpg

What is this Relay for? I found it under the dash not screwed to anything, I may have unscrewed it when I removed the Cruise.

2012_0805AJ.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

Well, all of that looks good from here. Mine definetly had bad contacts in that White connector.

Wondering now, if you haven't lost the ground between dimmer switch and battery.

Automotive wiring does some crazy stuff when grounds get lost.

Power is fed from key-on fuse, thru relays, to headlights, back to dimmer switch, then ground.

Headlight On/Off switch just controls the relays that feed juice to the headlights.

So, ok. I put that dimmer switch/high beam switch back in, cause I don' think that is the issue either. I than started trying to find the High-beam relay, I hear nothing anywhere (Unlike your Brat Tom) I don't have a relay on the strut tower like yours, the only relay I have in the engine bay is for the Cooling fan so the FSM says.

So, I looked at the Wiring diagram in the 1983 FSM. It shows Fuseable Link #1 runs to the Headlights and High-beam, so I pulled that link, and the lights went out. So I guess now I will follow that wire the best I can to try and find the relay. (?)

Tom, I don't even know how I would check continuity on if I had lost ground between the batt and dimmer switch, its a hay stack lol. And Wiring if not my strongest skill, I can wire stuff in and can figure most stuff out, but I ingeneral hate vehicle wiring (Too much in too small'o space) house wiring isn't as bad.

For the ease of time, does anyone know where the Headlamp relay should be on an '83 Wagon? Brat seems to be different, so I dunno if wagon/sedan would share the same layout?

Ok, So I've looked at the wiring diagrams in the FSM and have located the Headlight Relay in the diagrams. But where is it on the car?

I really don't feel like untapping the wire looms to track down and follow the wires. So simple question, where should the relay be on the Wagon?

Mick mentioned to me, that the backing plates of the lights could be grounding out on the light buckets. I checked that out, and nope, no the problem either. Good idea though.