Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

You would not want to sell your 3-Door after all the work you have done, that would be like me, selling my Loyale. Do not make a hasty move by selling your 3-Door! :)

The XT6 is cool, but it is not my type of car (To low, won't make it into my drive way lol!) Ooo, another lifted XT6 perhaps? :slobber:

Here is the rest of that for sale thread, and My reply to it all.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=129219

The idea would be to let it go to someone like you, someone whou would appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears put into it. Not that i don't want it, but if i could use the proceeds as an investment, it would be worth it (as money to save for a house, or stuff in the bank)

Perhaps i could swap the struts from the xt into my 3door, and let the xt go for cheap enough that one could invest in a lift for it. I lie the idea of a lifted XT.

The rockers are pretty rusty on that '83 GL are pretty rotted so says the guy, so its a pass for me.

Keep on looking...

I called some dude with a $800 5spd Loyale with 253,000. Says it runs and drives fine, newer tires. Dude is up in Osseo, WI. The only thing that will break my decision of coming out will be the rust. Waiting for guy to call me back.

. I like the idea of a lifted XT.

x2. i wish i had the ability to have another car, i'd totally consider lifting a xt. would have to be a big lift tho. due to the short body height!

by the way, nice post in that for sale thread, lol. sometimes the truth hurts.

x2.

by the way, nice post in that for sale thread, lol. sometimes the truth hurts.

Lol, just being plain honest. I wouldn't have cared if I did waste 5.5 hours going up there. But c'mon dude lol.

The XT is cool, I'm just not a huge fan of owning one (I like wagons or sedans) :o

The rockers are pretty rusty on that '83 GL are pretty rotted so says the guy, so its a pass for me.

Keep on looking...

I figured it must be pretty rough, seeing as how it's an older gen in the midwest, a special edition, priced relatively low, and it was STILL for sale a month+ after being posted...

I figured it must be pretty rough, seeing as how it's an older gen in the midwest, a special edition, priced relatively low, and it was STILL for sale a month+ after being posted...

The one thing you have to remember is, there aren't a lot of people who know what these cars are, and would also think the Ski team paint job is ugly or just to strange. Also most people don't want an '83 Station wagon, except for some poor kid who buys grandma's GL in place of a WRX cause its a Subaru and my Turbotronics Turbo has to fit on this.

If its not an Outback, then people don't know its a Subaru.

Edited by TheLoyale

that Ski Team car is pretty sweet. i bet its the same one that was for sale in racine with 3 others as a package however many months ago that was.

I remember there was a 70s Ski team car for sale out in East Troy for some redonkulous price, maybe 1-1/2 years ago. Which if I remember right, was rotted rather seriously.

I think I might call this Ski team guy again next weekend and see about looking at it, and then rule it out if need be. I think I might have been a little to hasty to say "I'll pass" without actually looking at it. Doh.

I remember there was a 70s Ski team car for sale out in East Troy for some redonkulous price, maybe 1-1/2 years ago. Which if I remember right, was rotted rather seriously.

I think I might call this Ski team guy again next weekend and see about looking at it, and then rule it out if need be. I think I might have been a little to hasty to say "I'll pass" without actually looking at it. Doh.

Rockers aren't that bad to replace... I consider that minimal rust on an ea81 :rolleyes: I've done a few at this point, but you can't really ever stop the rust once it starts. And chances are there's rust around the front seat mounts and the outer edges of the floor if the rockers are gone.

I am trying to find a decent old gen, as thats what I want, and two, I could keep this thread going (Since there is some good info and links already posted in here)

So far my options are

'83 Ski wagon D/R 5spd $1,200 (Unseen)

'92 Loyale 5spd 253,000 $800 (Unseen)

'87? XT-Turbo 5spd (MonsterWedge) Needs Disty and TPS and its clean.

Craigslist holds little options in WI lol.

Turns out I bought the '83 Ski Team car. It is in way nicer shape them the pictured showed. Interior is mint (Black and Blue) Auto Choke EA81. 137,384 4spd D/R

It'll need a clutch soon, 3/4 way out then clutch grabs (Slips some if you put your foot down in 4th)

Rockers are pretty rotted, but everything else is solid. Really decent car for $1,200 (Sure better then that GL-10) For sure!

Good to hear the ski team car isn't a wreck. I was thinking about emailing that seller but wasn't sure how I would get it back from WI.

I was at a JunkYard yesterday pulling an axle for my `84 DL and was telling my friend about it. He reminded me that we saw one of those Ski team wagons in another junkyard about an hour north of here around a year ago. If i remember correctly it wasn't in too bad of shape. I'm kinda strapped on cash for the next week, but hopefully I'll be able to make it up there again in 2 weeks to see if its still there. I'll bring my camera and if it has anything worth while I will keep you in mind.

Thats pretty awesome! There a few things I need for this car, Like Hood latch assy, The locking mech is crap, and the latch on the hood is missing. It had hood pins. But I'd like to fit it right.

The car has Wagon wheels with nice Center caps. I will play with the car tomorrow, take a list of genuine parts I need and will PM you etc.. :)

I'm feeling really good about this car, I'm excited as hell!

i will enjoy seeing this in person. ski team ftw!

question: was that a paint job you could actually buy from the factory? or was it only issued to ski team?

From what the guy told me, It was only for a Ski team. Some Foreign team did once own this car, and had the Decal applied.

Someone might want to verify this as I am unsure about this type of thing. I forgot this thing has Points lol! Now I'm old school y0!

Should I swap this thing to Weber? Or is the Hitachi good on the EA81s?