Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

The bucking problem youre having, is it all the time or only before it warms up?

It is all the time, cold or warm. Turns out the EGR was the main culprit of the bucking, now she runs smooth down the road!

Rob, I will take a picture of the TOB and all the goodies when I get it tomorrow.

For now, here is the kit I am getting, Has a picture.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1382797

I have done two Subaru clutches recently and both of them had cracks in the pivot area of the clutch fork. You could tell that the pivot area had been dry of any lube for years. One of the two was bad enough that the pivot ball was ready to punch right through the fork, the other had hairline cracks just starting.

Subaru could still get the forks, the retaining spring for the pivot, and the 2 clips for the throwout bearing - none of these parts were expensive. I would look closely at it when you have it opened up.

So I ordered a clutch kit today. I will have it tomorrow, comes with everything so it looks. Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, alignment tool. It better be for the 4WD, O-rileys has a habit of giving me the wrong parts.

The Kit is Sachs. $100.

i second this, a recent addition to my ''cars that i fix'' fleet was bought for super filthy cheap......broke clutch fork (88 gl) runs like a whipped mini horse. that said, the only donor fork came off another recent addition and the cracks were evident, but not yet fatal. that cars getting a rebuilt motor then ill replace the fork. long story long.........lube that pivot with white lithium grease while you have the chance....but you prolly knew that. i digress....

It is all the time, cold or warm. Turns out the EGR was the main culprit of the bucking, now she runs smooth down the road!

QUOTE]

Thats good you got her all fixed and running smooth. I'm having a similar problem but only when its cold. The CEL is on but i cant find a shop around here to read the codes.

Moist.

2012_0919AD_zps5cff8f0c.jpg

2012_0919AB_zps84e3e83f.jpg

This red rubber, isn't a seal is it?

2012_0919AC_zps0cf62e4f.jpg

2012_0919AR_zpsd66ac477.jpg

Disc.

2012_0919AH_zps361683d8.jpg

2012_0919AJ_zps0bc4c751.jpg

2012_0919AI_zpsb69cfe14.jpg

Pressure plate.

The fingers aren't broke, but the ends are worn and grooved.

2012_0919AK_zps8ab23435.jpg

2012_0919AM_zps55207631.jpg

Flywheel looks and feels ok. I don't think it needs to be resurfaced. Yes/No?

2012_0919AN_zps6999a00f.jpg

2012_0919AQ_zpsa5279133.jpg

New Sachs kit.

2012_0919AS_zps3731504f.jpg

Throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, what is the very small roller bearing for?

2012_0919AT_zps5874c49c.jpg

New pressure plate.

2012_0919AV_zpsce063fbf.jpg

Your build - but just another opinion. I would personally skip the RTV and go to a Ford dealer and ask for the diesel oil pan sealer in the half size caulking tube, or a Toyota dealer and ask for their oil pan sealer (in a tube), failing availability of all of that I prefer 518 anaerobic or Ultra grey. Just some other options. Life expectancy of RTV around oil seems to be about 2 years max and then it turns to mush.

One further option is to use a gasket with a THIN coating of any of the above sealers on each side, and clean and loctite the bolts so they will hold tension on the gasket without needing to over-torque the bolts and squeeze it out.

thanx for the clutch picks......turns out AZ gave us the wrong kit. matches your ea81 kit perfectly (cept for the roller bearing?). this woulda worked for us.......if we had an 87 ea81 wagon (doesnt exhist). oh well, i shoulda gone not the new guy i guess. I digress.............

back to work Tom

... an 87 ea81 wagon (doesnt exhist) ...

... in USA.

The EA82 engine was "Optional" in Latin America and other markets. ;)

Your build - but just another opinion. I would personally skip the RTV ... I prefer 518 anaerobic or Ultra grey...

Yes, I Agree that Standard Silicones won't last there, but How about the Mega Cooper?

Kind Regards.

Glad the pix helped ya. yeah I dunno what that little bearing is for either, ANYONE KNOW?

Back to work....

2012_0920AB_zpsd68681bb.jpg

Cleaned all the oooey gooey sludgy fudgy mess off the crossmemeber. Used Washing fluid to break down the oils, scrubbed with green pad then used Soapy water to clean it up. Gonna repaint the entire engine bay satin black (Engine Enamel)

2012_0920AC_zps91fcd5d1.jpg

Fork with new Throw-out bearing.

2012_0920AD_zpsf5eea2fc.jpg

Inspection plate.

2012_0920AG_zps505a3aff.jpg

2012_0920AI_zpsbce4cac4.jpg

2012_0920AK_zps622c7991.jpg

2012_0920AN_zps3ea1c1f9.jpg

2012_0920AQ_zps3a0ac9f1.jpg

I Really Like how you are Doing the Restoration on that Beautiful Subie, Also I Agree that this is the right Moment to Paint the Whole Engine Bay, but maybe you can Choose Different Colours... in my Case, I Choosed Black for the Firewall and the Rest is painted Yellow like the Rest of my "BumbleBeast" but since it was Engine -ceramic- Enamel, it Looks "Darker" than the Rest of the Car.

2012_0920AN_zps3ea1c1f9.jpg

I Like that Photo! icon14.gif

Kind Regards.