Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

JesZek, I was kinda thinking about what you just said. I could do the firewall black and the rest white. But I think the Black will showcase the motor colors more, also will hide some of the wiring for a cleaner look.

Rob, I did not check the back of the fork. I didn't remove it. Don't think I really want to...? What are the odds it has cracking?

James, I am kinda displeased with the progress I'm making. I really wanted to be farther along by now.

I made one boo boo, I didn't mark the flywheel before I took it off. So now I will have to fine TDC #1 so I can put the flywheel back one once I install the new rear mail seal.

The flywheel only fits on one way. you will see that one of the holes on the flywheel are spaced differently. it can only go back on in the same direction to the crank as it ever would.

as far as the the bearing, i wonder if it was for another application that used the same clutch on a different make with a different flywheel with a smaller hole but the same trans spline.

It is an interesting little bearing and i would keep it as a novelty

maybe if you go for a black underhood go for a flat or satin to not outshine the motor and flatter sheens hide imperfections(rusty texture) better than glossy.

For all that work you got going on you could easily stuff a dual range in as you go back together. but then you would need another clutch.

so this dude that liz knows randomly saw your car and sent a picture not knowing that we know that car.

Fox, yep got the text from Liz. Haha thats pretty funny! Good thing with the flywheel, thats a easier. I hear you on the satin black, that was the plan, I need to wire wheel the rust, maybe grind it and then paint it, might as well do it right.

I will keep the bearing for laughs, amazing how small it is, and how thin the rollers are.

I would total drop in a 5spd D/R if I had one, but these things just don't fall out of the sky around here like out west. The 3.900 4spd D/R isn't to bad, I'm running at 3000rpm at like 75mph, so its about 1100rpm lower than the 3AT Loyale at that speed. Maybe I should just swap a 2.2 Driveline in this car and make a rocket out of it, store the EA81 in my room as a show piece.

Rob, Interesting. I will indeed check out the fork.

Should I apply grease to the face of the throw-out bearing, or no? I did regrease the mount the TOB presses onto, the cast piece that slides on the output shaft, obviously, that is supposed to be greased.

I agree with McBrats comment about grease getting on the clutch disc.

40 yrs ago I was taught to only apply grease to the input shaft, the TO brg collar(that the TO brg rides on), the pivot(s) for the fork & the pilot bushing(if it has one). Just enough grease to coat the input shaft & then wipe it lightly with a rag.

i had a for sale post and it should still be there if you search it. offer whatever you think its worth to use. maybe you can trade some non soob items, perhaps. the trans is still at the shop by the xt motor. i should call desmond and see about going there. i still have a key to the building.

i could work with that. see if you can do 125 and we got a deal.

I'll trade for handyman labor if you can help me work on my house. do you sand hardwood floors? i want to scrub and acid wash the basement floor for epoxy or floor paint. we need to re-engineer the kitchen if you know anything about cabinets. watever's clever

I can do $125. I can also lend a hand and what have ya, Just have to see when I'd be free. I'm working two jobs now, doing the ABM cleaning for full-time, and working at Target in the dock from 345am till whenever. I can swing days any time after 11am.

I never sanded floors, but I can't imagine it being too hard, I catch on quick. I can probably scrub the floor, you gonna use a Single disc scrubber or something?