Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I got the blocks off. I did break one bolt. Its flush with the head (Boo) But I can use the other two holes for the flange. Wish I didn't break that one bolt, last one too.

Now I will definitely need an EA82 header for now.

broken flush isn't an issue as long as it's truly flush :)

the other two holes are the ones you would use anyway :)

You know, you're right. I wasn't thinking about it, but yes they are. Yeah, it is flush.

I was thinking about getting a transfer punch, smack it dab in the center, and keep stepping up drill bits until the bolt is very thin/hollow, then it might just break on or the hole. Maybe I shouldn't bother? Leave well enough alone. :-p

You know, you're right. I wasn't thinking about it, but yes they are. Yeah, it is flush.

I was thinking about getting a transfer punch, smack it dab in the center, and keep stepping up drill bits until the bolt is very thin/hollow, then it might just break on or the hole. Maybe I shouldn't bother? Leave well enough alone. :-p

yeah. just hit it with a dremel if there's anything not flush and call it good... the flange area of the head can only take so much beating before it will crack the aluminum :)

So, I started grinding and painting the engine bay. I like how the semi-gloss engine enamel looks, I need to buy a can or two more to finish it. The Engine enamel is good stuff, has Ceramic in it, so it lays down very thick, smooth and dries quick!

Quick question, I removed the cable from the clutch fork to the Hill Holder valve body. Is this gonna be an issue? I do not use the holder, don't even really understand how to use it. I kinda wanted to remove the whole unit and reroute the brake lines, but that sounds like a PITA. Am I gonna have any repercussions from not using the cable?

If so, I can put it back on.

i got a set of ea81 headgaskets somewhat by mistake, ill put em in your box. that said i pray you dont have to use em. must suck to be all rusty, we just dismantled a 89 glw in under 8 hrs, mostly with my craftsman 19.2v cordless impact. car was straight too, you should be pissed:brow:

I was incorrect about the EA81 and EA82 Oil pans being the same. From under the car, they look identical, but the EA81 pan is larger in diameter. So the Fel-Pro gasket I bought is too small a square. At least I'll have one for the EA82 if I ever pull the motor :)

So, I will order an EA81 Fel-Pro gasket else were since O'Reillys did not list one. Parts Hut or NAPA should have it.

I will take a picture of the difference later in the day.

I was incorrect about the EA81 and EA82 Oil pans being the same. From under the car, they look identical, but the EA81 pan is larger in diameter. So the Fel-Pro gasket I bought is too small a square. At least I'll have one for the EA82 if I ever pull the motor :)

So, I will order an EA81 Fel-Pro gasket else were since O'Reillys did not list one. Parts Hut or NAPA should have it.

I will take a picture of the difference later in the day.

Dont bother with an oil pan gasket. Youll never get it to seal properly.

Red Fuji bond or Toyota oil-pan gasket maker.

Dont bother with an oil pan gasket. Youll never get it to seal properly.

Red Fuji bond or Toyota oil-pan gasket maker.

I'm using the gasket to take up the gap and give the pan something to press against. I'm gonna seal both sides of the gasket with RTV Black. Kinda like what I do with Oil pumps and Water pumps. Double the protection!! (Sadly not so many teens follow this rule) ;)

I'm using the gasket to take up the gap and give the pan something to press against. I'm gonna seal both sides of the gasket with RTV Black. Kinda like what I do with Oil pumps and Water pumps. Double the protection!! (Sadly not so many teens follow this rule) ;)

Use up what gap?

All the sealant won't help when the gasket rots out and starts leaking. It'll just be more mess to clean up when you reseal it next year.